Rosbif

Hi everybody
The fan assembly for the dynamo has self destructed, part of it ended up wedged in the chassis/engine mounting blocks after a loud bang.
There is still part of the fan intact so some cooling effect is present. How important is this item?
I assume it is important otherwise it wouldn’t be fitted as standard.
I would like to replace it, of course, but it no longer seems to be available at the main sellers. I will check out for a used item in the meantime.
At the same time I heard the bang, which I now assume to be the fan breaking up, I started to get a vibration and rattle via the gear lever mechanism. My initial thoughts were a gearbox mounting failure or a problem with the gear lever bushes set up. Now that I have seen the state of the fan I am more inclined to the view that as the fan is no longer balanced, about 1/3 of the fins are missing in the same zone, there could well be a vibration being caused which is makes itself known via the gear lever linkage. Gear change is not affected and the vibration and noise is only present when engine speed is in the upper ½ of the rev range.
I haven’t yet had time to put the car on a ramp to check out my initial theory of the mountings so can’t rule them out but I now suspect the fan problem as the cause and would either replace the fan or remove the rest of it before looking into gearbox mounts or gear lever bushes etc.
So, guys, what thoughts – especially about removing the dynamo fan?
Thanks
(dizzy)

Had the same thing happen to a 13/60 estate I used to own - about a third of the dynamo fan blades let go, all on one side. Made the most horrendous vibration after that, amplified by the estate bodywork to the point of being almost unbearable.

I wouldn't recommend running without the fan, but I wonder whether an alternator one could be made to fit? Those are moderately readily available (I'm fairly sure I even have one that's not fitted to anything).

Jonny - Jimbo: thanks for the tip off.

Paudman: how large is small and how small is large?

The one fitted looks to be 150mm diameter and 15mm front to back. Are the centre hole sizes the same for the two versions? I guess as long as it didn't hit anything a large one would be as good it not better than a small one.

Thanks

It looks as if these dynamo fans are like London buses, you wait ½ hour for your bus and then 3 come along at the same time.(woot)
I found one for sale on the web plus I was just about to confirm a purchase on EBay for something else and asked about a fan, not expecting them to have one but they have so can get both items with one postage charge, great.
Thanks for your help with this.
(smile)(smile)