"Comfy" seats for spit 1500

PabloMoorzio

Rebuild the original seats. It's a lot less hassle and you'll discover they were actually quite comfortable.

Otherwise, if anyone has a worn-out driver's side seat base for a Mk4 Spitfire, I'm looking for the wire cage bit to build up instead of ripping apart my current perfectly serviceable one to match the rest of the refurbished set.

11 hours ago, PabloMoorzio said:

I've heard about MX5 seats being chucked into spitfires but does anyone know what year MX5 I'd need to be looking for and anything else needed, rails etc..?

Any advice appreciated

I fitted "tombstone" MK1 seats. But not as easy as it sounds, I had to remove foam from the base to reduce height, and even then I was sitting too high in the car depite being a correctly-sized 5'8. Goodness knows how oversized people get on.  The seats were indeed comfy, just too high.

I now have refoamed original seats which are comfy too. And sit me at the correct height.

I would agree with Clive and Rob, stick with the originals, I've seen a couple of Spitfires with MX5 seats & I think they make the car  look odd as the seats appear too tall.

I guess it's a personal thing & it will be up to you if you decide to fit them,  just don't get rid of the originals until you are happy with the results. 

Unless you are short (even very short) the MX5 seats sit you too high and don’t go far enough back.

It is possible, though quite involved to mod the seats to go back further but getting low enough isn’t really possible for a 6’ plus driver at least. 

Refurbed OE is like to give best results.

Nick

16 hours ago, PabloMoorzio said:

I've heard about MX5 seats being chucked into spitfires but does anyone know what year MX5 I'd need to be looking for and anything else needed, rails etc..?

Any advice appreciated

I have a pair of mx5 tombstone seats ready to put in my Herald, not got round to it yet , a job for the winter lay up I think 

7 hours ago, PabloMoorzio said:

Next Q then, where would you refurb?

I've just done a set for a Mk3 GT6 myself, using the kit from Park Lane. I found it not overly difficult - just follow the instructions carefully.

The ones for my Spitfire I had done professionally by a chap in Cambridge who I'd previously recommended to a well known club member. We are both very happy with the chap's work. Where abouts are you?

• Thanks 1