Difficulty changing gear

Piran2

Driving up to the Silverstone classic on Friday, overtaking a lorry and the herald pops out of 4th. I've not had any problems with the gearbox before but now it feels quite stiff getting it out of gear and then selecting the next gear. It all moves fine when the car is off. Any ideas?

1 hour ago, Piran2 said:

Driving up to the Silverstone classic on Friday, overtaking a lorry and the herald pops out of 4th. I've not had any problems with the gearbox before but now it feels quite stiff getting it out of gear and then selecting the next gear. It all moves fine when the car is off. Any ideas?

Have a look at your engine mounts. Mine suddenly got harder to get into gear on the way to Steve's on Friday. I was in heavy traffic on the M25 and thought it was because of the heat, however we found that both mounts had failed 

20220827_155128.jpg

9 hours ago, Piran2 said:

Theres ball bearings backed by springs that engage with slots in the gear change mechanism. If a spring breaks the mechanism isnt held in place so can jump out of gear. I wonder if this could also explain the stiffness now however the good news is that you can remove just the gear change without disturbing the box internals....

6 hours ago, glang said:

Were they new pattern part mounts? Difficult for me to see how they affected the gear change unless the whole engine and gearbox was moving with the lever😳

Yes they were fairly new looking Bastuk mounts - don't know when they were changed, I've only had the car 4 months.

The whole engine had moved 3-4 inches over to the passenger side. I reckon that with the gearbox held by it's own mount it put strain on the clutch/input shaft. Anyway it's back to normal now so there must be link somewhere. 

3 hours ago, richard w said:

I reckon that with the gearbox held by it's own mount it put strain on the clutch/input shaft.

That seems rather unlikely. The bell housing is a LOT more rigid than the rubber mounts, so all the strain would be on the gearbox mount. It's possible that the position of the engine-end-gearbox-assembly had changed in such a way that the gearstick was interfering with the bodywork, thus making it hard to put it where it needed to be.

Fair point Rob. I hadn't considered the bellhousing strength, apologies Glang. However I do stand by my original point that, in my case, the failed engine mounts caused the harder gear change which has now gone back to normal. Certainly worth checking the engine mounts anyway.

I think the passenger side failed first because that was completely in two with the rubber actually tearing apart.  The engine moving across probably pulled the driver's side apart. That one was just about together, with the rubber coming away from the metal, and fully separated when we took it off the car

Luckily I was at Radder's and he had some original secondhand ones which were good.  Real pain to change.  All credit to Steve who did all the hard work below with Dave Harvey and me doing the top side.

I had an engine mount fail on my Spitfire after zero miles! (Well, 100 miles on a trailer but the engine hadn't even been started). The other side failed within a few hundred and the gearbox mount failed in about a thousand. Fortunately the replacements all managed to survive RBRR and C2C.

• 3 weeks later...