TR7 Twittering/Chatter from engine bay

TReslaV8

Hello,

Any ideas on what might be causing a twittering or high pitch chatter I can hear over the engine. It doesn't seem to be engine speed dependent or even road speed (although the faster you go, it gets drowned out)  but it is fairly constant. Could it be the water pump starting to complain?  Ideas welcome so hopefully I can avoid a breakdown en route to Spa for the WEC 6 hours at the end of April (watching not competing 😉)  

Cheers

David

Hi David. If it was water pump or belt you'd expect it to vary with engine speed. Can you hear it when engine is idling, with the bonnet up? If so you need to hunt down the approximate source. A listening stick might be useful

Have you got a mechanical or electric fan? Loose fan or blades clipping something perhaps?

Incidentally I had a chirpy squeak on my Spitfire recently, which turned out to be a loose bonnet support. It was vibrating slightly and resonating through the mudguard / front wing. 

To be honest noises are rather difficult to diagnose without standing along side the car!
Though if it is something engine/transmission/suspension/brake related it should be either road speed or engine speed related

Could it be the heater fan?

I will try to track it down but even on idle you can hear it. The fan is a Revotec electric fan and installed only a few months back so I don't think it is that but worth checking. Also the heater fan, as I know I have left that on, now that I have a new heater matrix, so possibly a consequence of all that being disturbed. However I would say it is under bonnet rather than under dash noise.

What type of carburettor do you have,  I had a high pitched whistle on my Herald and it turned out to be that the 2 bolts which secure the solex carburettor and heat spacer onto the manifold had worked slightly loose and it was simply sucking in air underneath the carburettor.  Louder at idle

Edited by Wendy Dawes

Noise under a TR7 hood... think they are they are there by design.  Twitter or charter can be a moving part just clipping something. Check the alternator bolts are tight the thin ones on the case. Lift the rocker cover and check the front stay for the cam cog there is a nut and bolt on there. 

Timing chain when was it changed last?

Loads of variables tbh....

3 hours ago, Wendy Dawes said:

I had a high pitched whistle on my Herald and it turned out to be that the 2 bolts which secure the solex carburettor and heat spacer onto the manifold had worked slightly loose

I once had a REALLY LOUD high pitched whistle on an 1850 Dolomite, which was caused by my having got a fold in one of the inlet manifold gaskets (which are a pain to fit because the manifold is attached with bolts into the head, not studs that you could hang the gaskets on).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chris2 said:

hi

tr7 have a bearing on struts part no ukc9395/ukc329 and ulc2043 are replaced to a kit rb7706 from rimmers or sus023 from robsport.

The old bearings seize and make noise when turning on steering  

Chris , I wouldn't call any of the original arrangement a bearing in terms something which has low friction. Its a rather rubbish cone and thrust washer arrangement.

Should hear a spring under tension noise when turning the steering when all is off if this is siezed.

Hello David,in fact hello everyone,not posted in this forum before!

Last September I did a tour down to LaRochelle in my 2.0 TR7.
I had an utterly annoying and concerning chatter which when the engine was switched off came to a stuttering halt.
My self and some of my fellow participants spent a while under the bonnet trying to decide where it was coming from.We decided it was from the viscous fan,not the coupling but the tolerance ring,it was sprayed with WD40 and disappeared for a while.However it returned.Not too concerned I ordered online a new tolerance ring to fit when I returned.
Also morning starts I was noticing faint petrol fumes!I decided this was the seal on the petrol cap.
Upon returning home I parked up in the garage and left the car,a day or so later it was time to give it a post trip check and clean.
The garage stank of fuel and a wet patch ALL over the floor at the front.
I traced the leak to a perished,18 month old(Yet supposedly E10 compatible)pipe twixt filter and pump.
The fuel had leaked down the pipe,over and around the filter,over the next rubber pipe and onto the steel pipe........and then to the RUBBER grommet thru the inner wing,rotting the rubber and allowing the metal pipe to chafe on the metal creating the rattling squeak.Needless to say new pipes and grommet  sorted the problem.

• Like 1

Hello K and welcome!

43 minutes ago, karnevilGS said:

I traced the leak to a perished,18 month old(Yet supposedly E10 compatible)pipe

Unfortunately there is a LOT of utter rubbish so-called R9 (E10 compatible) hose available from many places, especially the bay of E, but including most high street motor factors. You need to ensure that what you buy is the real thing, and the only way is to go for a reputable brand from a reputable source. Gates Barricade is the one to choose.

That said, many people find that the original factory rubber hose, while never specified for ULG let alone E10, survives it better than much of what's available now.

4 minutes ago, RobPearce said:

Hello K and welcome!

Unfortunately there is a LOT of utter rubbish so-called R9 (E10 compatible) hose available from many places, especially the bay of E, but including most high street motor factors. You need to ensure that what you buy is the real thing, and the only way is to go for a reputable brand from a reputable source. Gates Barricade is the one to choose.

That said, many people find that the original factory rubber hose, while never specified for ULG let alone E10, survives it better than much of what's available now.

As I am running on TR7 on E10 I will have to keep a close eye on those pipes

18 minutes ago, RobPearce said:

Hello K and welcome!

Maybe should have said that I replaced all the rubber fuel pipes at the same time on both mt 7's,this very short bit 2" approx,is the only bit that failed!

Some great responses, many thanks one and all. Tackling a few suggestions, the fan is unlikely as the original was removed and a Revotec installed in front of the radiator. I run the car on super unleaded, so E5, and usually Esso, as that has reputedly got no ethanol (at least in most areas of the UK) but will check for any petrol leaks just in case a rubber pipe or grommet is squeaking. The car has had new rear springs and shocks in last 6 months so will check both those and the fronts, but seems unlikely as it will make the noise when idling, i.e not moving. I will have a look at the carbs as I have just spent some time cleaning up some under bonnet areas (what is they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it, or even clean it!!) so maybe I have dislodged some silencing muck😉.  Quite a few things to check out but thanks for all the suggestions - it is a regular twittering sound, so relatively high pitched. 

Thanks everyone once again.

David

• Like 1

It is not the gromet or rubber that was squeaking it was the fact that the metal fuel pipe was chafing on the metal of the bodywork.It doesn't really matter what fuel the point is if its missing the grommet for whatever reason it could be the cause 😉

Edited by karnevilGS