mk2 head wrecked?

GT6boy

Nick_Jones wrote:

I'd say once the usual torquing running and retorquing have been done, treat it as usual - cane it!  :).  Either it will be ok under proper use or it won't - why wait to find out?

Nick

An interesting research technique Nick  ;D

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/

hope it works Brucie, but  my self, would no have went into the fire ring area, :-/ :-/ :-/

[  looked like the gasket  would miss, on your other pics,!! ]

the   little est, ... little crack..that opens up, will act like a ..cutting torch..  for high speed plasma gas,.

I did some my self, between the valves, did nae last long,

got it done 2nd time by real expert welders at steel works,

lasted less than mine,, but this  was in a much more heat sensitive spot than yours

its to do with ..carbon  migration.. as the weld will no stick to the carbon,

good luck though

Marcus

Probelm being, the back of the squish area under the fire ring wasn't substantial enough to get the weld to take with any depth. We had to dash inside the ring....
This head was scrap, now we are merely 'drinking in the last chance saloon', things are looking up ;D!

• 1 month later...

Quick question: is 3.1mm of cylinderhead material covering the waterway channel, sufficient to effect clamping force ontop of the fire ring  :-/?

One of life's gentlemen is progressing with investigatory NDT on the failed head and this has shown the metal covering the blind waterway on the spark plug side of the affected combustion chamber, as only being 3.1mm thick, where-as the other firerings will be clamping down onto bewteen 4.0mm and 5.3mm.  

GT6boy wrote:
Quick question: is 3.1mm of cylinderhead material covering the waterway channel, sufficient to effect clamping force ontop of the fire ring  :-/?

One of life's gentlemen is progressing with investigatory NDT on the failed head and this has shown the metal covering the blind waterway on the spark plug side of the affected combustion chamber, as only being 3.1mm thick, where-as the other firerings will be clamping down onto bewteen 4.0mm and 5.3mm.  

Seems very thin 1/8", still if it is a blind hole there's not much to worry about.

is there?  :-/

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update as follows:
The head was dropped with me Sunday and taken to Maynards today. This is the 2nd welding attempt. The 1st one was carried out by my local welding geezer, but his commitments to mortgage paying jobs meant he was sadly unable to finsh the job. So what you see below is the result of the 2nd welding repair carried out, having had to gring out all the weld that the 1st geezer had put in. This was after they had carried out a number of Non-destructive-testing ultrasonic examinations of the head and confirmed that the water channels are generally 4-6mm below the surface- aside from the area opposite where I had the 'thinness'. This other area is down to 3mm but, is someway outside the fire ring area .

Sorry- can't help myself, playing this on continuous currently .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r70RAYpQp44

Anyway, Mark at Maynards is a top geezer and dropped it onto the machine. Post welding- it was only out through the length of the head some 0.001"!
The picture below is the first few sweeps to remove the height from the weld repair. The guy who did the weld carried out a number of attempts, after each he'd dye penetrant the head and then push any defects outside the fire ring area by welding in more metal. Top bloke.
I could have stayed there all afternoon, They don't discourage the customer watching what they do- which is fab . But time constraints meant I had to leave it with them.
The plan is for them to grind down the weld flush. The OFS corner was .005-10" lower from the grinding removal carried out mid weld, so that might just need a little building up, but that is well outside the fire ring area.
They will then check the valve seating of the two valves in the combustion chamber No. 6 to ensure no distortion was inadvertantly achieved during the work.
They will then check the CR- I want it to be 10.2/1 at the end. Then they'll wash it in readiness for me to paint it.

I saw a number of other Triumph-ist heads there. They look very nicely done indeed . i spoke with there gas-flowing bloke as well as Mark and I'm very impressed with the whole set-up there.

First- the good news: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlK6TgUP3OM

Strap yourself in boys- it's going to be messy....
Had a text from mark at Maynards, oh dear.
The gentle grind of the head of the weld revealed some major concerns. The obvious visible crack evident here from above, extends into the combustion chamber on both sides of the repair. The cracks were leaching moisture from the cleaning bath, so may well be quite deep.
The weld along the outside edge of the repair(where there was most metal to join to) has been very successful.

This low angled shot concerns me more. The weld has had to extend along the entire squish ramp edge. The considered opinion was that as it is- it looks suspect .
Any repairs on the side of the new weld, will just chase away into thick cast, but in the combustion chamber, I think we have reached an impasse .
Mark at Maynards was suggesting of running in some metal to make a repair, but I think the time has come to draw a line in the financial sand(hand).
I'm concious that the issues surrounding this head have impacted on other people's generosity of time and effort, for which i'm very grateful .
I am now giving some thought to other more rational and potentially successful schemes, such as: jumping off tall buildings, scrappage scheme, eating lots of cake....
(think)

GT6boy wrote:
I am now giving some thought to other more rational and potentially successful schemes, such as: jumping off tall buildings, scrappage scheme, eating lots of cake....
(think)

Oh Bugger  :X

Sorry Bruce.

Might I suggest looking around for a GT6 MkII, Vitesse MkII, early MkII Saloon 3.30" head? (or 2, one to get going now and another to have flowed)  :-/

ps Its either Beer or comfort eating.....

It's all to do with the beard my friend. He was an ace welder, but then the H+S elves got involved, wanted him to reduce the facial hair to little more than a 1980's "George Michael" designer stubble (Showing my age here, how can looking scruffy/unshaven be "designer"??)
Anyway, Santa gave up the welding, and has moved on......I understand he is after a position on the IPCC as he reckons that otherwise reindeer will soon be outlawed or at least overtaxed when used as transport, as they have high methane emissions. (worse than CO2 as a "greenhouse gas")

As window ledges go, this one is very nice indeed.
A number of people have very kindly offered to continue to assist me in my plight, for which I am very greatful. However disappointing the current situation is, it is pretty groovy to get the help, assistance and goodwill that I do. Thanks guys :).
So this head will be left to rest and recover its dignity for a while.

The options are an off-the shelf Fast Road Peter Burgess head- far less expensive than my last attempt in this thread.
Or, Maynards are very experianced with these heads too, have excellent gas-flowing and all the requisite skills to achieve something at least as good as the Peter Burgess item, possibly better. Also, they're only 10 miles away and are always happy if you drop in to see how things are going.
Incidently, these engineering shops are so engrossing!
The only draw back with the Maynards option(aside from the cost probably going up, as i'm bound to ask them to do 'extras'( :B)), is that Peter Burgess supplies the head from his stock holding.
Where-as, as I would supply Maynards with a new old head, if that went tits up during the fettling, that would be at my cost. What are options for 3rd time un-lucky!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I could start a new thread called 'The mk3 or 4 head', but then we'd lose continuity, so the story continues.

Due in no small part to the ongoing generoasity of fellow Triumph owners ( Nick Jones and Will English), yesterday I picked up 2 'new' heads to trial for the position of mk3 head for the GT6 :).

Head no.1 belonged to Nick and had run in his Megasquirt injected Vitesse. Lovely even mixture there Mr Jones- well done :)! this is an old head with valve guides toward the end of their career.
This head is an original 308351 casting, stamped 517528 off either a mk2 GT6 or Vitesse mk2. It may have had a mild skim in the past as it is down from 3.300" to 3.293".
Still running the original Trumph valves too.
No evidence of cracks between the valve seats, or any waterway coreshift(TFFT!).

And here is Will's slightly younger casting 313248, stamped 219015. This could have come from a late mk3 GT6/dome topped 2000/later 2.5PI or later TR6.
This one is still at its factory depth of 3.400". Still on the original sized smaller sized valves.
Again this one was clear of visible valve seat cracks and waterway core shift :).

It's taken me longer to photograph and re-size all the pictures and do this write-up, than to strip the heads!!!!! ;D

Archived