mk2 head wrecked?

GT6boy

I really appreciate all the suggestions and kind offers of help guys :). Marvellous.
Today i've dropped the head into my local engineering guru. Top bloke all round, I could easily spend all day just chatting with him in his workshop.
I'll keep you updated, but after some fun with a small chisal removing thin metal( :X), the plan is to get giggy welding the area. Might be a week or two before an update....  

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No Bruce, I put her away when I got it back and have not have not opened the garage since.
If I can be bothered I will take the head off on Monday and take a peek. Gutted is not the word.
But if it is a total mess I may go the way of the Zetec or I have been thinking of a supercharged Mini 1.6? Just doing some thinkning at doing somthing different?

• 2 weeks later...

The first weld repair has been effected Thursday last- I did a last minute dash to pick it up and drop it at the guy doing the skimming(more money! :X) the same day.
So busy in fact: I forgot to get a picture of the weld repair- doh!
The expectation is that the edge of one part of the weld may need re-doing, but until we skim down the new metal to within .010" of the block, we wont be able to see this clearly. Onwards and upwards as they say! :)

I've just been having a chat with Rob and he says that the head gasket has blown between 1 and 2.

There appears to be no other damage. (fingers crossed) I'm going over on Saturday to take a look and give him a hand to put it back together.

Looks like we may see you at Oulton Park with a bit of luck :)

GT6boy wrote:

Ditto for yours Rob- or are you still a little low on Triumph motivation  :-/?

As Steve says, all seems better than I originally thought, I will strip the head down at the weekend and then re-fit (if there is no damage) the ring on the gasket was blown apart and some of the metal is missing, I hope it has not messed the valves up?, Pic attached.

Keep us informed on your repair Bruce, Hope you get it sorted!

Here we have the first stab at weld repair.
He'd done a great job of adding the new metal, the gasket shot shows how the cheif area of concerns being either end of the fire ring.
The blue bits are outside the fire ring so any porosity shouldn't be an issue?
The red bits will be re-welded and re-ground and crack tested.
The head was scrap, so it's sh#t or bust ;D!

Not sure exactly what form of welding it was- he stated it was very high nickel content rods( IIRC?) and was supposed to be more resilient to stretching.
Still hoping to be at Oulton, but not in the Triumph. When this goes back on the engine, I want to treat it gently (running in) as I presume the welding heat will have had an effect on the heads integrity so, I 'm keen to get some normal heat into the engine and not thrash it- any thoughts on this idea :-/?

It will be interesting to see what happens to it once clamped down and subjected to a few heating and cooling cycles plus other engine loads...... my crystal ball is sulking though (again)  :P

I'd say once the usual torquing, running and retorquing have been done, treat it as usual - cane it!  :).  Either it will be ok under proper use or it won't - why wait to find out?

Nick

Archived