Hugh

Bill, it does nae rattle at all, , gets rid of alot of bonnet, [ hood ] for you over there  :) :) lifting at speed,

reduces ..flapping wiper.. sydrome at higher speeds, , one side moer than the other,

and lets a lot of heat oot too,.

Some one on here did that, after I said it,

and he said he has noticed a big difference,

will that  person step forward !!!

Marcus

I'm going to have to start thinking about how to keep a GT6 cool in the tropics soon - are those vents available to the public or one-offs? Steel or alloy? If alloy, I guess they could be rivetted a la C & D-type Jag, or even bonded in place.

There have been learned dissertations published here and elsewhere about the efficiency of louvres, though. I think John D pointed out that the efficiency of each additional louvre goes down as the airflow over it is more turbulent. The factory side vents should work well, either in the original position or higher up, as Marcus has done.

I've never been sure about removing the rubber seal at the back of the bonnet though. My understanding was that there's a high pressure area at the base of the windscreen. Has anyone used a manometer to test this?

796 wrote:
Ahhh, I see noo Hugh,  

Roy is trying to keep his heed cool, under all that  hair,  :) :) :) :) :)

wonder iff they going in the top,or sides, back or front, of hair, ;D ;D ;D

Marcus

If the mobile sauna gets as warm inside as it did in Italy, I may just fit em on the Roof! ;D

All,
First, alloy sheets with louvres pressed in are readily available at B&Q, and no doubt other DiY stores.  They are used to vent sealed up fireplaces, and other purposes.

Next, where should they be positioned?   The production GT6 had them well back on the bonnet, in front of the intake to the interior ventilation/heater system.   Now, ask yourself why the intake is there?  It's because there is a bubble of slow-moving, high pressure air there, that tends to push air into the car.  NOT the best place for an extractor vent, as that bubble extends some way forwards from the base of the windscreen.

And, are louvres good extractors?   One louvre is quite good, but it relies on laminar flow across the surface it penetrates.    The presence of the first louvre and the extracted air slows the flow and tends to cause the boundary layer  to seperate and go turbulent.    This spoils the extracting function of the next louvre, by about a third, and so on down the line of louvres.  A bank of louvres is no more effective than the first two rows.

What IS a good extractor?   It must be in an area of fast laminar flow, which exists over the forward half of the bonnet, so that just behind the radiator would be ideal.  It needs to be a large opening, similar in area to the whole bank of louvres, with a small 'tripping strip' in front and an angled back to the outlet duct, deep at the front and smoothed to the surface at the back.    Air passing over the tripper forms a vortex behind that penetrates the outlet opening, energising the air therein so that it is drawn out into the ambient air flow.  The result is an extractor effect that has low drag and high efficiency.
Of course, extracting all the hot air there will cause it to be drawn into the interior inlet!

Oops, just seen that my previous offering on this subject have been referenced by Nick Moore!   And the side vents need to be modified as above, and the fancy trim eliminated.   Not even a grille - this is an extractor vent, after all!

Lastly, I'm with Andre.  Cooling even in a hot climate, should not be a problem, except if you have to dawdle in traffic, say.    Fitting an electric fan and ensuring that the cooling system is working properly should be sufficient 'tropicalisation'!

John

I really think the louvers I've seen on Marcus' GT6 are the best-looking I've seen.  I might wish that the front angle of the cutout was *slightly* steeper to more closely follow the curve of the wheel arch, but that's just someone arguing about whether a picture is hanging straight.

JohnD wrote:
All,
First, alloy sheets with louvres pressed in are readily available at B&Q, and no doubt other DiY stores.  They are used to vent sealed up fireplaces, and other purposes.

Next, where should they be positioned?   The production GT6 had them well back on the bonnet, in front of the intake to the interior ventilation/heater system.   Now, ask yourself why the intake is there?  It's because there is a bubble of slow-moving, high pressure air there, that tends to push air into the car.  NOT the best place for an extractor vent, as that bubble extends some way forwards from the base of the windscreen.

And, are louvres good extractors?   One louvre is quite good, but it relies on laminar flow across the surface it penetrates.    The presence of the first louvre and the extracted air slows the flow and tends to cause the boundary layer  to seperate and go turbulent.    This spoils the extracting function of the next louvre, by about a third, and so on down the line of louvres.  A bank of louvres is no more effective than the first two rows.

What IS a good extractor?   It must be in an area of fast laminar flow, which exists over the forward half of the bonnet, so that just behind the radiator would be ideal.  It needs to be a large opening, similar in area to the whole bank of louvres, with a small 'tripping strip' in front and an angled back to the outlet duct, deep at the front and smoothed to the surface at the back.    Air passing over the tripper forms a vortex behind that penetrates the outlet opening, energising the air therein so that it is drawn out into the ambient air flow.  The result is an extractor effect that has low drag and high efficiency.
Of course, extracting all the hot air there will cause it to be drawn into the interior inlet!

Oops, just seen that my previous offering on this subject have been referenced by Nick Moore!   And the side vents need to be modified as above, and the fancy trim eliminated.   Not even a grille - this is an extractor vent, after all!

Lastly, I'm with Andre.  Cooling even in a hot climate, should not be a problem, except if you have to dawdle in traffic, say.    Fitting an electric fan and ensuring that the cooling system is working properly should be sufficient 'tropicalisation'!

John
The vents you get in diy stores are made from melted down pop cans these vents MADE IN THE FAR EAST BY A CHILD ON 10P A DAY These are REAL vents done on a tool years old the alloy is the best car body grade you can buy and I would have given them away free so try that at B&Q

Archived