Fitting an electric pump to GT6

Luke Valvona

Hi all,

looking to fit an electric pump to my gt6, (unless I’m convinced otherwise….), has anyone done this already who could offer some guidance? 

questions I currently have are:

were to fit the pump (I’m looking at as close as possible to the tank)

did you fit a pressure regulator (I do have one to hand)

did you wire it into the ignition or a separate switch?

did you install a cut off? In case of an accident etc? 

cheers 

Yes. I fitted a Huco “sucker” type. 

This is mounted in the engine bay close to the original mechanical pump position.  You could use the Huco pusher version and mount it by the tank but there really isn’t much room back there if you want to carry a spare wheel. Have a pic somewhere, but not on this phone.

Neither of these options needs a regulator as the Huco pumps are low pressure.

You should fit an impact cutoff switch in the pump supply line.

I also ran the fuel pipe from pump to carbs along the bulkhead rather than along the engine block to keep it as cool as possible. This meant reversing the shape of the carb link pipe.

• Thanks 1

Agree with Tim! Those inertia switches may be mounted in the engine bay, or on the dash, and are effective, but only when you need one!

Worth knowing that two versions are available, two- and three-wire.   The latter will connect a warning light when the switch triggers, to tell you why the engine has stopped! 

John

18 hours ago, Luke Valvona said:

Hi all,

looking to fit an electric pump to my gt6, (unless I’m convinced otherwise….), has anyone done this already who could offer some guidance? 

questions I currently have are:

were to fit the pump (I’m looking at as close as possible to the tank)

did you fit a pressure regulator (I do have one to hand)

did you wire it into the ignition or a separate switch?

did you install a cut off? In case of an accident etc? 

cheers 

I run a facet red top pump, it is mounted on the chassis rail inboard of the N/S/R wheel.

I have a FPR mounted in the engine bay, I also have an electronic fuel pressure gauge

I use an ignition switched relay delivering power to the pum

I do have an inhibitor switch, a 3 wire unit.

Ian

I have recently fitted a pump off a Yamaha motor bike. I bought 3 used ones, but all genuine.

One is on my vitesse, and is quiet compared to the Facet wch I have used on other cars. It is also low pressure, about 2psi, so causes no issues at all. And the bike has more bhp than the vitesse, so fuel delivery won't be an issue. Yoiu can hear it tick away when you start the car, getting the float chanmbers full, it then slows right down. When dric=ving, I really cannot hear it.

It has be be fitted close to the tank and ideally below the tank. 

I will be fitting the other pumpo to my dolomite, and the 3rd will be a spare to carry on the 10CR etc meaning it will never be needed. 

Best of all, I bought all 3 for £30!

Same setup as Nicks, but I have mounted the Huco on the front side of the n/s suspension tower to keep it cooler and out of the way for oil filter changes.

I've fitted a 2 pin impact cut-off switch on the main bulkhead behind the battery (needs to be a rigid panel)

Ian

DSC_8090.thumb.JPG.0d1f9e7767d7b38439a61849fc4ae3ab.JPG

DSC_7788.thumb.JPG.564bc2ba4aaa5806764848f964a6b021.JPG

8 hours ago, Tim Bancroft said:

What type of fuel upump have you fitted?

As NIck suggests, do fit a fuel cut off switch, here is an example:

image.thumb.png.de955ae579e39a920328d96bb2008bc7.png

Inertia switches are cheap and a very sensible addition, however the matching plugs can be nearly as expensive as the switch. I acquired the unit I installed on my TR7V8 from https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/inertia-safety-switch. The matching plug from them is £6 each.

Howard

Hi All,

thank you for all the replies! Blown away by the help.

In answer to some questions,

I bought a pump from a trade show (it looks like this one) 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202771434372?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=CEznwNDXSmu&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=byXeiIxMSGG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

so will probably look at this Huco range. @Nick Jones

Does anyone have a link to one they used? Found a few online but not if the right type as it seems to vary with pressure ranges.

will be looking to install in the engine bay (as I think this will be better for access!) so will get a suction type.

I also like the idea of moving the location of the fuel line. @GT64fun

19 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

Yes. I fitted a Huco “sucker” type. 

This is mounted in the engine bay close to the original mechanical pump position.  You could use the Huco pusher version and mount it by the tank but there really isn’t much room back there if you want to carry a spare wheel. Have a pic somewhere, but not on this phone.

Neither of these options needs a regulator as the Huco pumps are low pressure.

You should fit an impact cutoff switch in the pump supply line.

I also ran the fuel pipe from pump to carbs along the bulkhead rather than along the engine block to keep it as cool as possible. This meant reversing the shape of the carb link pipe.

Do you have any pictures of your setup? Mainly looking at the fuel pipe running and locations 

Couple of not too great pictures...

P1190691s.jpg.b24054a65118e5334cbed56df8e7ee45.jpg

You can just see the Huco above the oil filter adapter.  Fuel pipes are just out of sight to the right.  IIRC I made a bracket which is part of the mechanical fuel pump blanking plate.  Don't seem to have pic of it so will get you better one.

Incoming is along the chassis rail, through the front outrigger (couple of inches of copper pipe visible behind the rear wishbone bracket).  Outgoing is up the bulkhead then along it under the brake servo and header tank.....

P1190400s.jpg.cbd79f2021283c7b0b95c13366fff13a.jpg

.... then forward to the carbs with the carb link-pipe layout being reversed to suit

Is all this really necessary for a standard car though? In over 35 years of ownership of my Vitesse (alright not done as many miles as it should😒) I had the original mechanical pump wear out its non return valves so got a very cheap replacement pump and slapped it on with out issue. Then I put new valves in the old one and its ready to go...

5 hours ago, glang said:

Is all this really necessary for a standard car though?

I changed to an electric pump due to vaporization problems in the mechanical pump.

It is possible that this due to the pump having to suck hard through partially blocked lines, which is a recently diagnosed and now corrected issue.

These things are set to try us.

Ian