Do you use ratchet wrenches/spanners?

DVD3500

Ratchet Wrneches/Spanners? Yea? Nee?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use ratchet spanners/wrenches?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/02/24 at 12:44

I love the things but I barely see anyone use them around here.  Particularly in hard to reach places I find them a huge time saver and knuckle-saver. I of course torque things done with "proper" tools...

What do you all think?

Because the ring is usually larger than a standard spanner they often won't fit... but when they do (especially, as you say, in a tight spot) they are a godsend!

For stuff like removing the rad from the Spitfire I just use a plain ring and a ratchet ring and crack on - lighter and quicker than a ratchet handle+socket in my opinion. 

• Like 1

I have a Siegen set of AF ratchet ring combinations.

Very shiny and occasionally useful (and satisfying when used). The open ends are nice and thick, so less chance of slippage.

Socket sets get used regularly. I prefer six point to multipoint sockets for security.

I have a nice 3/8" Halfords Advanced ratchet handle which has a very fine ratchet, which is useful for tight spaces. 

Ian

• Like 1

A flat ring spanner which can also ratchet - who wouldn't use one?

Although all of mine are broken. The first time I put them on a nut they always want to turn the wrong way, no matter what I do. Put it down in the exact same orientation and when I pick it up it's all magically changed internally... 🤔

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Howard said:

I have a cheap set from Aldi, which is nice and thin so great for getting to those difficult nuts.

Not heavy duty, but worth every penny.

Me too I use lots of Aldi tools, they do the job 

Edited by Wendy Dawes
  • Like 1

I asked a friend of mine to bring me a set of snap on ratchet spanner’s back when he was next on a trip to the USA I finished up with a cheap Walmart set he said the others were rather expensive . That aside they are useful when you have the room to use them 

• Like 2

Owned a Hilka set for forty years. Maybe used a few times. Nice idea, but in practice because they lay flat on the nut/bolt, usually things are in the way, so you can't get the spanner to seat, or if you can, you can't get a swing on them.  In my experience it's easier, faster to use a socket.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ferny said:

A flat ring spanner which can also ratchet - who wouldn't use one?

Although all of mine are broken. The first time I put them on a nut they always want to turn the wrong way, no matter what I do. Put it down in the exact same orientation and when I pick it up it's all magically changed internally... 🤔

I always use ratchet ring, with open end opposite. Bought them in Canadian  Tire at low cost.

A blob of green paint helps, righty tighty (even though they have an arrow engraved in

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MarkB said:

Owned a Hilka set for forty years. Maybe used a few times. Nice idea, but in practice because they lay flat on the nut/bolt, usually things are in the way, so you can't get the spanner to seat, or if you can, you can't get a swing on them.  In my experience it's easier, faster to use a socket.

The set I bought at a car show 2 years' ago is offset about 15°...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Howard said:

My inexpensive Aldi set has hinged socket head so they can be used in very tight corners which comes in handy

As do mine picked up from a stall at an agricultural market, and they are much used.

Dave

1 hour ago, Howard said:

My inexpensive Aldi set has hinged socket head so they can be used in very tight corners which comes in handy 🙂

That sounds like a better idea, mine were bought years ago and are flat. Love buying tools, but can't justify buying any more.