Carb Conversion

slowthing

Having some newly aquired "cash to splash" I'd like to upgrade the carbs on my 1962 Vitesse 6. Currently have Solexes but looking to convert to Strombergs or SU's. Can someone please advise on whats involved and required. Manifold issues? Header tank etc. Looking for a setup akin to later Vitesse 6's or mk1's.
Many thanks.

Later 1600 was fitted with twin 150cd Stromberg carbs and at the least you would need the correct inlet manifold and air filter set up for them, and you would have to modify the carb fuel feed. Looking at my (very old) Haynes manual, it appears that the 1600 on Strombergs has a hot water pipe going through the manifold (as have all 2 litre models). The Solex manifold doesn't appear to have this system. But this is an old manual and it is trying to cover Vitesse and Gt6 models from 1962 up to the early Mk2 gt6 and Vitesse, so it is a bit vague in places. If this manual would help , Pm me. Cheers, Dave.

There was a period conversion by Alexander, it used the original manifold with a pair of angled adaptors to mount the sidedraught replacement carburettors. They're surprisingly common, as are cars converted to the later factory Stromberg setup, cars with the original Solex setup seem to have become pretty rare,

Cheers,
Bill.

I know that Karl Dandridge at KD Triumph had a factory manifold for a 1600 with the twin CD150s on. This was a while ago though. I think they came off my Vitesse actually when he bought it to turn into an RBRR car.

if you're struggling it might be worth giving him a call to see if he's got them.

Around 1973 (bloody hell that was 42 years ago and I'd already been married for 3 years) I had a 1600 Vitesse and the solex carb(s), I'm sure there were two of them, were knackered. I handed them over the counter at a TRiumph dealer and was given a kit comprising two Strombergs for £12.50. They were a straight fit and transformed the car. I can't remember any details about the manifold or linkages.

• 2 weeks later...

we converted our Vit6 to strombergs with a S/H Mk1 2ltr manifold , the carb spec is std CD150 or CDS150 but the 1600 does not use a damper spring it has a heavier piston weight to hold the diaphragm in place , use a spring and it will be very rich
a cds with the starting valve is best option.

needle is 7B

use std 2lt air box

simple to link the rod throttle to the rear carb with a short link rod.

mount the exiting header on brackets of the manifold studs

this adds around 12bhp and knocks 3 sec of the 0-60

add a 631 tube manifold and clear exhaust and you gain more , dont mess with KN or pancakes you wont get a needle to suit , stick to the std air box with a nice cold feed