Microwaves and porridge.

Clive

Bear with me...

We recently changed our crockery from stoneware to some rather thinner/lighter stuff. Think it may be glass based, but is certainly tough enough and looks solid white.

Before, I used to microwave my porridge for 2mins. Perfect once stirred, left 2 mins.

With teh new bowls, exact same quantities, microwave and 2 mins. Boils over every time. 

My only thoughts are the thinner/lighter material holds less heat, so more going into the porridge? Or is there another explanation. The bowls are slightly steeper sided and small diameter, not by much though. 

Clive,

"Stoneware" is crockery fired to higher temperature that mere pottery.   Porcelain is fired hotter still and may describe your new porridge bowls. 

The first is porous, so the interior is sealed with a glaze, but may contain water from washing, which will add to the mass of the dish and contents, so absorbing energy from the microwaves.   Porcelain is more dense, glazed on both sides by the very high firing temperature and is not porous, so the only water around is in the porridge, so it heats up more quickly.

Come on Kevin, you know more about microwaves than even three bears!

John

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wendy Dawes said:

Experiment a bit Clive more liquid and less time until you perfect it,  

you’ll triumph in the end 🤣

I have it working happily on 1min 40. Seems to do the trick. Leave 2 mins, stir, ready. 

I think the old bowls acted as a heat sink, the new ones possibly have a lower specific heat capacity too. This has been bothering me.

2 hours ago, garyf said:

You could always have Weetabix🫣

NO! Though I am partial to a bit of "granola"

• Haha 1

We have lots of problems with making porridge in the microwave, in there 2 seconds too long and it is like Mount Vesuvius.

The bowls get red hot, contents stay cold, so get eruptions from round edge.

Also use same bowls for heating up the crumble or pie for afters, same thing, bowls too hot to get near, contents cold.

Wait 5 mins and heat transfers from bowl to food.

Like they were made to absorb microwaves.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, thescrapman said:

We have lots of problems with making porridge in the microwave, in there 2 seconds too long and it is like Mount Vesuvius.

The bowls get red hot, contents stay cold, so get eruptions from round edge.

I am getting more certain that the new bowls hold much less heat (or equally heat up/cool down MUCH faster) but we never had the issue of the bowls getting really hot while the contents stayed cold. 

I am glad I have sussed the time reduction, it got tedious having to wash porridge off the turntable. Not as bad as getting couscous off a pyrex jug once it had been left to dry out, but messy all the same.

I did a bit of reading about bowl shapes. Square is a poor choice in the MW. But I am intrigued about the patterns of heating. We used to do an expt at school to calculate the wavelength of the microwaves, using a bar of chocolate. But that could be used to test where heats up the fastest too. Needs many bars of choc though, and at different heights. Gill may approve.