Daihatsu 5 speed gearbox

glang

I see that Daihatsu Hijet/Piaggio Porter vans have a loverly compact 5 speed rear wheel drive gearbox. I know the ratios probably arent ideal and its not designed for so much torque but I would love to have that extra gear - anyone fitted one or even considered it?

Yeh I know its not ideal but as much as I love my Vitesse I want a whine free box with modern smooth gear change that will allow me to cruise at motorway speeds without the need for a complicated electro-hydraulic lump on the end of it

The Hijet 'box pictured in the ebay ad looks like a pretty impossible prospect.  Bell housing is not removable, that is the gearbox casing split point (like many modern BMW boxes), gearchange linkage designed for cable change and so on.  Also, while it would be ok power wise for the 4 pot Triumphs, the sixes would soon kill it anyway.

Nick

the Vans are v v low geared,
so if wanting a cruiser, ye gotta have a 3.27 diff with them ratios.
a 3.63 at a push

I no they been fitted to Midgets, but not sure how it was done,
but  at least the bell housings separate.

will prob need a full clutch set up, and some form of modding the OE bell to the box, prop altered, , spedo drive, mountings
if its done on Midgets wid the same basic type box, there maybe a converter plate already med forit,!!!

Go have a digg aboot on the Midget forums,!!!

M

If you are going down that route then I would heartily recommend a Ford Type 9. Easy to fit, good ratios and super snicky gear-lever. This is mine that has had the original lever cut off at the rubber damper and a thread put on. Sierra gearknob.

Interior not all replaced or tidied - sorry about that.

• 2 weeks later...