smithy

OK, so I had to take the gearbox out just as I was getting near the end of my re-fit, since I dropped a slave cylinder bolt which shot straight past the actuating arm and into the bell housing. Doh! (I bet I couldnt drop it back in if I tried 50 times, ho hum).  While I've got the gearbox out again I'll have a look at the clutch plate too, I guess, since it first went in 10 years ago, and hasn't been looked at for 2 years. (When it was found to be stuck on, naturally).
Anything else I can sensibly test/mess with while I'm at it? I can already see that the gear stick to the remote joint needs to be packed out properly with a washer or two as I reckon the over-drive switch won't engage properly otherwise... Anything else to look at, like how to test the solenoid simply or whutever?
Much obliged to ya's!
Here's a picture of the bolt. Oh! One reason to be cheerful it seems; it's a 'proper' GT6 gearbox. :)

Hi Smitthy,
To test the solenoid (with the side plate removed so you can see the arm it moves) ground one side of a battery on the gearbox and put the other on the solenoid wire. Arm should click into position so hole in arm lines up with hole in casing, check by inserting drill bit.

Test the inhibitor switch works too.

As you've got the box off I'd check the clutch plate for distortion and wear, flywheel for grooving, inner clutch plate for wear or busted bits, etc. Change actuator arm pin for one of the new ones that can't drop out, stuff like that.

New clutch and thrust bearing?

the vitesse/gt6 doesn't have those troublesome pins/bushes (lucky things) like the spits. But the clutch arm can develop stress fractures, so worth cleaning up and checking while its out.
Clive

Archived