Differential strip and rebuild

Batman

So while I had my spitfire stood in the garage I noticed a couple of drops of oil coming from the differential, so since I am doing a full nut and bolt rebuild thought I'd have a look.

I've bought a diff overhaul kit, since the bearings will have to come off to replace the seals.(In my experience you can damage the bearings sometimes when removing them, and they're not overly expensive)

Given the diff a quick scrub (Will clean it better and paint later).

1st question, since I don't appear to have a socket that fits 🙁 what size is the nut on the input shaft?

any chance you can do a few photos of the job, I have a few diffs for my gt6 and I know one of them needs bearings so a few pics would be interesting.
I note from mine that older diffs have a split pin to lock the nut while newer ones have a nylon locknut. don't know the thread without going out to check though.

Batman,
Your differential unit has a crush sleeve spacer inside. It is important to put the nut back exactly where it is. To do so mark the nut, flange and shaft before you take anything apart. Then as you undo the nut count the turns including any partial turn. When reassembling put the nut back on the exact same number of turns. That should put all of your original marks back where they started.
                                                                                          Good luck,
                                                                                          Paul

• 1 month later...

Well the bearings came off relatively easily  (3 leg puller used).
Worst job was getting the new bushes in the rear of the diff, took a bit of buffing of the bush and the diff case before they would press in.
Gave the case a quick lick of paint and replaced all of the bolts

Just one point, and I could be wrong on this, but are the bolts that hold the rear case tapered? I have seen more than one diff where they have been replaced by "normal" bolts, but that concerns me, they would be tapered for a good reason.....Location? Stay tight? not sure, but a thought.

The ones that came off were shoulder bolts, but not tapered as were the new ones. Did double check (been caught out like that before).
They were all fitted with spring washers same as the originals.
Thanks for checking though (never know when I'll miss something lol)