Mk2 Differential upgrade

Saltddirk

Hi,
started making a list today of things I still need to finish of the Mk2 when i realized that i still do not have a differential.
The old one has the casing cracked, do not know how it happened for sure but i think I grounded out badly  in one of the potholes gracing our roads.

Irrelevant, i need a new one.
So here is the question, which one to go for?

I have no idea if the old one was the correct one, I always seemed to rev fairly high and not progressing  :-/.
I have an overdrive gearbox ,I use normal size tires on wires, and with Rob's nice Jigsaw Stage 2 tuned engine I could probably go for a taller one..
I am not so much a painter of 11's at the traffic lights but want to travel in relative comfort (noise wise) at 120 KM/H (that's about 70 MPH) and be able to follow the flow.

I'm not looking to make her more sporty or anything but it just seem to me that with the old one i was lacking top speed for todays traffic.

Dirk

Mk2 (Spitfire?) diff is 4.11:1, same as Mk3, with square input shaft flange.  Mk2 & 3 diffs are completely interchangeable.

With a revvy 1300 you are probably best off with the 4.11:1.  You could also go to Mk4 Spit/Vitesse 2L/GT6 with OD to get 3.89:1.  If 1500 engine then you'd be best with a 3.63:1 from a 1500 Spit.  Changing to either 3.89 or 3.63 would need the driveshaft flanges changing to match the larger flanges on them.  Some would also give you 4 spring stud holes rather than the 6 you have now.  There are ways around that if needed.

Nick

Thanks Nick,
The car has a 4 bolt spring from an upgrade kit.
From what I gather it is either the 4.11 as i have now or a 3.89 giving away on torque and acceleration but gaining in topspeed. My main concern was that first gear would be too tall.

Issue is that I'm not sure if my car had the 4.11, It just didnt seem right. I was going to check when removed from the car but seeing she was split I could bother.

Let see if fleebay throws out a cheap 3.89 to experiment with. If not we can always go ahead and use the Mk3 one, it is not the first time she has been used as spares car  ;D

Good Idea in tapping the rear casing as well.

You realize that when we take the diff out from the Mk3 there is nothing preventing the wheels from going stargazing dont you?
making the car even less mobile.....

Oh No I got you,
You needed an excuse to get cracking on it
Not my fault luv, dirk needed the diffy and i can hardly leave her like that cluttering up my workshop cant i....(clap)