Removing rear trailing arm bushes

Raider

I expect this will have been asked before but is it possible to replace the rear trailing arm bushes without taking the whole arm off and using a press?

I am currently struggling even though I have done this kind of thing before on TR7S.

Any advice appreciated. Meanwhile I will return to the attack as I have plenty of other things to do 😀

Martin

Its not as bad as it looks..honest

Couple of hours each side

Drive shaft off
Undo bottom damper nut
Dissconnect brakes-you have to repalce your slave cylinders anyway!
Remove two bolts/nuts at pivot end of trailing arm..remove trailing arm
Push the old bushes out using vice/socket combo...or set fire to them depending on mood
Push new ones in using socket/vice combo..after putting fire out if used

Re-assemble

sorted 🙂

Well I have got them off.

Burnt them in situ   Then drilled out centre steel tube followed by novel method of using 1 inch wood drill on the bushes which gets them out easy.

Replacement bush is being a sod though so now having having a cuppa.

Might yet take the arm off

Quoted from Raider
Well I have got them off.

Burnt them in situ   Then drilled out centre steel tube followed by novel method of using 1 inch wood drill on the bushes which gets them out easy.

Replacement bush is being a sod though so now having having a cuppa.

Might yet take the arm off

I was going to suggest using a wood drill, that is what I have taken to using.

The flat ones, rather than ones that look like HSS drills.

And you may be better making up a puller to get the bush through, big flat washers, and a bit of old exhaust pipe or similar did me.

Cheers

Colin

Hey guys. I did the trailing arms with super flex's years ago. I pretty much used the method the scrap man used- a long piece of threaded rod, some big flat washers and some nuts to suit. Line it all up and use the power of the thread to pull it in. The bushes should pop is easily, with almost no need to guide them in (use plenty of grease). Slide the centre tubes in afterwards  and you'll be sweet. I cant imagine bashing them in!
Too late now but I reckon this method would have worked with the arms in situ ( just add some pipe on the end of the puller to pop the bushes out). I did it like that on mine as I didn't want to disconnect the brake lines.
Cheers
Josh

Did you get the remnants of the old bushes out? If there's any left it could prevent the new bushes from going in. I would rule out the new bushes because Super Flex are a perfect fit. They're my number one recommendation and Chris is your man. The front end of my Dolomite has Super Flex bushes (aside from the front ARB) all bought from Chris.

I have done these bushes using 2 sockets, a chassis bolt and nut. They push out easily and fitted new ones by reversing the procedure. Just have to have your mouth in the right angle 😀  Mind you it is easier and quicker to remove the trailing arm and slip the backing plate up and over the arm and leave that attached to the brake line (no bleeding and no messes brake fluid everywhere) and not so much fluffing about trying to fit the new bushes with it sitting on the bench 😉  

• 2 weeks later...

I removed the bushes from the arms I'm stripping on Saturday - a large flat punch seemed to do the job. I found that a large flat one didn't break the rubber, so the force of the hammer blows just pushed the bush into the bore on the arm. Four well placed blows and they were popping straight out. The annoying thing was I made a puller tool to remove them using some 2" diameter tube I had lying about and the thick washers that hold the diff bushes in. It started pulling the bush out, and then the 7/16" diameter bolt snapped!! So That didn't do a fat lot in the end...