Uprated hubs / axles, etc

Greeks

Rather than continue the blatant hi-jacking of nang's thread about rescuing an S ... I thought it would be a good idea to start a separate thread on uprated hubs and axles.

Good parts do:

Hubs https://www.goodparts.com/shop/index.php?productID=347
Hubs and axles (CV joints) https://www.goodparts.com/shop/index.php?ukey=product&productID=823

SC parts also do a CV set up (not immediately clear to me if the hub is any different but presumably it is)
http://www.scparts.co.uk/sc_en/antriebswelle-199072.html

Dennis Vessey does hubs, but not clear if he does axles for Stag/saloon and pricing is not included on site:
http://www.vessey-classic-car-services.co.uk/triumph-tr-rear-hubs.htm

Who else is out there?

I fitted the Vessey (TR6) hubs as well to my 2000 mk1 rally car about 5 years ago now. Lots of abuse and never been a problem. I had made up HD traditional drive shafts (on second set now) only modification is a little grinding required here and there to stop the larger driveshaft UJs from fouling the trailing arms. Cant remember the price but not too eye watering

• 1 month later...

Quoted from piman
Hello Greeks,

the world cup rally (works) cars used standard hubs, but Stag propellor and drive shafts.

Alec

That maybe correct Alec, but they were brand new parts off the production line.
It would be interesting to know just what part failures occured with the big saloons on the WCR and other rallies.

The trouble now is that even very good secondhand parts are old with a history of lots of use.

New parts as we all know can be of questionable quality too, that's why my gearbox is off again along with the new Borg and Beck clutch I fitted last weekend, which seems to have a weak diaphragm spring and slips quite readily above 3k revs accelerating

Colin.

Hello Colin,

the point I'm trying to make is that I don't believe there is an inherent weakness in the hubs, it's certainly not been an issue I am aware of in my long experience of Triumphs. Possibly the quality of the reconditioners or the spares they use is a factor?

Alec

A lot of australian cars have seen 30+ years continuous use on pretty ordinary roads - most UK triumphs never got past their 15th birthday. Find an average UK registered Triumph on Flickr in pictures of the 70's and see if it was still around to celebrate it on the DVLA

Agreed no inherent weakness on original specified cross plies and 80 odd bhp but add 40 years old wear and fatigue, poor recon, stickier tyres, 2.5 torque and the risk is definitely there. I have lost two wheels - one in competition on sticky tyres, one on the road at 50mph in my standard ex-UK PI estate - (incidently that car was well outside the bell curve of Triumph usage having been in continuous use for over 30 years)

If that really is in the Police workshop manual, then it was probably for the early stub axles with a castellated nut.

A friend had a Herald taper half-shaft dismantled on a press (20 ton I believe) and they left the nut on (loose) to prevent it from damaging anything.

When the taper released, the shaft tore all its threads and the nuts was sent flying across the workshop.

Hello Richard,

I don't really know if it is an urban myth but I don't see whether it is a castellated nut or a nyloc makes any difference, except the chance of a castellated nut unscrewing is probably greater than a nyloc unless it was loosened by quite a few turns?

Alec

Quoted from piman
but I don't see whether it is a castellated nut or a nyloc makes any difference, except the chance of a castellated nut unscrewing is probably greater than a nyloc unless it was loosened by quite a few turns?

Hi Alec,

By castallated nut, I meant one secured by a split pin through the stub axle.

I suppose the way i see it, is that there are incidents where old hubs have failed.

My local and reliable (and English if it makes any difference) mechanic informs me he's not prepared to rebuild the spares I took to him as he doesn't trust old parts and wouldn't want to be liable. Fair enough.

Whilst 'upgrading' to a new set seems relatively expensive, they've been designed to deal with more abuse than the originals, they're new materials and I'll have a receipt. And hopefully I won't be looking for a new set all that soon.

• 1 year later...

OK, there's a couple more options now, it seems:

These ones from the UK, that Andy Thompson fitted to his supa-commuter (didn't even mention these were in when I had a spin in it back in October ... I just spotted it on his blog)
http://classicdrivingdevelopment.co.uk/gal.asp?gID=30
840 quid a pair

Then I spoke with Greg Tunstall in Brisbane this afternoon and he's now offering Stag / Saloon shafts as well as the TR ones (not pictured). AUD 1650/pair.