wire wheel splined hub removal

flag man

Really stuck on this one,
I need to renovate the front suspension but I can't work out how to remove the splined hub. removed the wire wheel no problem, but obviously with no wheel / tyre resistance I can't remove the 4 nuts holding it on. I have tried locking the hub up with a lump of wood but so far have only succeded in lifting the front of the car of the axel stands. There must be a way..............?

Have you tried having someone stamping on the brakes?

Ideal solution is a windy gun!

Or a socket and tommy bar, rotate the hub so that the bar rests on the floor holding onto a nut! This will then lock the hub while you undo the others, then you will have to use something to hold it while you do the last one.

Or try wedging something into the caliper/drum to stop the hub rotating and then use a tommy bar/wheel brace to undo them, if you try to undo them so you are pushing down, (the left side wheels, have the bar pointing forward, the right side the bar pointing to the rear) then you won't lift the car!
And if tight you can stand on it to help, but be careful you don't slip and shin yourshelf.

Good luck

Thanks all, brakes option is out, calipers off as replacing all the old pipe work.
have tried the wedging the whole thing solid with lumps of wood between the floor and the nuts, soon learned the pushing down on the nuts was far safer than the other way lifting the car up. Had hoped that there was a magic solution to this one.
Looks like it's just a question of persiverance

When I had my Midge, I had this to do many times over the years. I used a long bar to wedge the adaptor against the ground and could only use an open ended spanner as the nuts were too close to the splined hub to use a socket....I kept a supply of nuts, as the spanner invariably rounded them off after a few times.