I bought my spitfire in April 2002 and heard about the Rbrr ,I thought ooh I could do that!
Then realised my recent purchase probably couldn't .....actually it didn't stand a chance in hell.
I decided to do the next one though so started planning,then we found out we were expecting a baby....so I needed to loose a toy as time would be seriously lacking.
I sold my motorbike ....yes Tim I know you think I should have kept it ;D and kept my spitfire however it went from being a daily driver to just occasional use due to needing to fit a baby seat.

Over the next year I suppose I prepared the car with help from a friend and in 2004 did my first Rbrr.
I only ever thought I'd do one then move the car on as it's use was so limited with a young baby and a new house to modernise.
But I found the people I met on the run to be very addictive,the camaraderie is incredible.
I Remember particularly the way Dave Kent and Nigel Gair were so keen to chat and offer advice whilst at jog. For my friend and I who knew no one this was so welcoming we then had a problem at conon bridge with the distributor clamp coming loose,Andy Pearce soon came to the rescue in that instance....again someone I didn't know! Leaky water pump at service station in the middle of the night,Ellis Stokes rescued us that time with some instant gasket.
We developed a misfire that we just couldn't solve and many teams tried to help but it wasn't till Sunday morning that we found a plug lead had blown its tip apart!

We made it round and had a ball into the bargain, I soon found myself planning to do it all again it's addictive for me.it gives me a reason to keep my car even when family finances say it really should go( but now I've spent too much on it so it's not going anywhere).

I made friends on that first run that I only see every two years,and I made friends that I talk to often wether on here,Facebook or text messages......and I met Tim!
Before the last run I had big issues with keeping engine oil in the engine.......I had so many calls and messages of support and offers of help!

The 2014 will be my sixth run and as usual I'm looking forward to it already,my cars running better than ever (fingers crossed it lasts!).
I probably prepare myself and the car better now than the first time and carry more items to aid a quick fix. The fun is always there it's just a little different each time.....like getting rear ended in Scotland by an Australian in a camper van.......maybe I should have worded that different ;D

So what makes others keep coming back it's not getting any cheaper to take part,fuel and entry has gone up but still we all do it!

This will be my 10th run.

Read about it in the early 1990's and just thought it sounded like fun. Eventually in 1996 I had a car that was good enough to do it in and I could afford the fuel (just!). Done it every time ever since.

It's the ultimate road trip, its epically fun, and like Alex, I get to meet and spend some time with friends who some of them I only get to see once every 2 years.

I think I met Alex on the RBRR and became friends through that at first!

I can't think of a better way to spend a weekend and about £600.

Did my first one in 2012,  read an article about it in 2010 not long after I had got my 1st TR7 and thought that sounds fun. As I'd missed the 2010 had to wait 2 years. We had problems all the way from top of Scotland till crossing the Severn bridge, we nearly gave up when passing Carlisle as we were less than an hour from home. But no we carried on, we finished. It was a great weekend.

The help and encouragement we got at all the stops when trying to sort the car was unreal. One of the reasons we're up for doing it again and one reason I come on this forum

We're so mad the plan is to do it in the Moss Roadster this year instead of the TR..........

Alex
You are absolutely right about the RBRR - it is an incurably addictive event with a cameraderie like no other. Even the ever increasing expense of doing it seems to make no difference, people just keep coming back for more. I have done it 14 times and only advancing years stopped me plus the loss of my great co-driver Les Mills. I remember one run when a 2000 driver approached a roundabout too quickly and damaged a wheel. I was helping remove it and looked at the driver working next to me - it was Jeff Herbert, then Managing Director of Rover Triumph, but that weekend just another works driver. All this topped by some incredible fund raising for our charities makes Tim Bancroft's statement that this is the greatest Triumph event of them all the truth - long may it continue!

Derek Pollock
One time organiser,

I did it for the first time in 06.  Had met Ashley Mills At Stafford the year before.  Ash invited me along and then I was hooked.  I bought my Dolomite just to do the run.  All of this led to next three runs, 3 10CR's and now  the cars 3rd (my 5th) RBRR.  I ran the last RBRR with Steve Povy in his Vitesse.  I only met Steve a few days before the run.  I keep coming back as said above because of all of you and many Great Friendships that I have made.   Below you see a list of my team mates over the years and this year will add Clive Senior.  I visit most all of them every visit to England.  I have met so many fantastic people from this run and that is why I keep coming back.  Their are too many to thank or blame for my involvement.  It now looks like Peter Fern will also join the team again.

I can't really remember how I got involved, I think it was a pub conversation with Dave Pearson and then a cunning plan to resurrect his factory prototype V8 saloon. I'd been and seen the cars come through Fleet services one year and thought "this is crazy, I'm in!" I did a few with Dave including my only real DNF in the Atlas Van - unfinished business.

I've been round in a few different cars over the years, even tried it in my own car - when I could keep one together long enough - each RBRR becomes my favourite, 2012's TR6 escapade was pretty good, really tested the crew's humour and technical ability but we succeeded in the end. Giving the car a good Italian tune up from Sugar Loaf (after fixing our issue once and for all) was excellent. These past few years have been tricky with time availability, work/travel/home commitments but I'm still "in".

After doing a few events with CT I decided I should put a little something back and got involved with the organisational activities, that did often coincide with being in India or at least away from the UK with work but I've always been able to fit it in. It does mean giving up a little time but the effort is well worth it and we have a great organising team at the moment. The challenge is always to keep it the same but fresh, modern but traditional, updated but historic - oh and to not get too serious about a little drive around the country  8)

• 1 month later...

Our first Rbrr was 2000. Carl Shakespeare talked me and mrs Mc into entering the event, and we seem to be totally addicted to it. Maybe there is some kind of subliminal brain washing trick that The committee use? Even Mrs Mc, who has no real interest in the cars, is addicted.

The driving is a big part of the appeal, especially the sense of satisfaction and achievement when you see the Plough ahead after 48 hours. The camaraderie is something else: we have been lucky enough to have experienced only minor problems each time, but when we have, there has been no shortage of support and encouragement. The charity angle justifies it to all those friends and family who believe that we have lost our marbles.

What is bizarre is that the day after each event, when the tiredness has been partially slept off, the drivers' minds genuinely turn to the following event 2 years hence!

As my 8 year old son would say, it's 'epic'!!