Don Cook

I don't often (if ever) pop on the Dolomite forum but I am now the owner of a 1972 Damson 1850, via ebay. Standard looking car apart from vinyl roof and full length sunroof, seats refurbed in Cinnamon Ambla. A good honest car...until. On the drive home from Rugby, about 70 miles in, it decided to miss every now and then; it got progressively worse. Yesterday I pulled the plugs: 1 and 2 were fine but 3 was gummed up completely with oily gunge, 4 was caked up but not oily. It used a fair bit of oil on the homeward journey.

What do you Dolomite boys think, I'm pretty sure I can guess what it is. I also checked the points, cap and rotor arm...has there ever been a more stupid distributor (advance and retard above the points!!)

Hi Don, Very few people come on this forum now, especially for Dolomites. I would suggest going on the TDC forum as there is a lot of help on there as there was on here. It sounds to me like piston rings? But a chap on TDC "carledo" is the man to speak to.

Tony.

Hi Don, Very few people come on this forum now, especially for Dolomites. I would suggest going on the TDC forum as there is a lot of help on there as there was on here. It sounds to me like piston rings? But a chap on TDC "carledo" is the man to speak to.

Tony.

Nice looking early 1850 Don.

Yes, the distributor is more or less the daftest thing even and the location is none too handy either (Sprint worse!).

Probably need a compression test first, and if the results are not too catastrophic, sort the mixture on the back carb (leaky needle valve making it rich?) and try again.  Dodgy cap/plug lead/plug can end up looking excessively oily just because the cylinder isn't firing.  However, there's also the risk that there is a rings/bore problem because the car's stood for a long time and then pot was one with the valves open and hence the one that got rusty.

If that's the case then a whole TR7 engine and 5 speed.....

Nick

looking at the dizzy in a positive light, it meant that when I was trying to find suitable advance springs they were easy to changesmile

And I fitted a "stealth" leccy sparky kit thingy which seems to be working well. 

Plus my Toledo is fitted with a TR7 engine, which does go well (sprint box and axle).

Gunson...Gungsong...usual con. I have one that's about 40 years old but doesn't stay-put at the highest reading, usable but my mate has a better one and to be honest (as he doesn't see this forum) he's mustard with old cars so I'm hoping he can diagnose any issues. Just bought a service kit, dizzy cap and rotor arm. I have sent a message to Accuspark asking if they have an electronic kit but haven't heard from them yet. Someone has set out what you do on the Dolomite site so I know it can be done, and Clive has managed to fit one. 

Compression readings were 1. 150, 2.150, 3. 165 and 4. 150. So happy with that (although 3 is higher than the others??). Had a good root around today with my friend John and it turns out to be two duff plugs, contact gap, timing and probably the leads. Now running fine and drives like an 1850 should (I would imagine, never having driven an 1850 before). Car is a bit wallowy and we noticed it has new front suspension legs, I assume the rears haven't been done. Anyone know of a good replacement for the rears?

Off for another drive round.

Quoted from Nick Jones-

... the distributor is more or less the daftest thing even and the location is none too handy either (Sprint worse!) ...

I find (access to) the Sprint dizzy much better compared to the Delco unit fitted to the TR7 and 1850 enginetongue-out