Jackshaft dowel

Matt306

Changing the timing chain before I take her for a MOT . 

On changing the change I noticed a lot of play on the Jackshaft sprocket. I took the sprocket off to note the dowel has flatted off on one side. The sprocket hole is also enlarged..

I might some wear on the jackshaft end too but I wont know until the new sprocket arrives.

I guess this may account for the misfire  and timing mark jumping about?

Anyway has anyone had any success drilling the remains of the dowel out with jack shaft in engine?

Resigned myself to removing the jackshaft. Couple of faults I found, the locking washer had lost the tab which went into the sprocket. The sprocket was loose on the end of the jackshaft this has in effect worn the ring down the sprocket sits over as well as the dowel/peg. All in all the sprocket was very sloppy on the shaft.

I have come to the conclusion that the jack shaft is knackered and will plump for a SH one from Rimmers (they have the 12.5% off sale atm). Accompanied by new sprocket and german chain.

Hopefully this repair will account for the slight miss when running, I did think it may have been as the car had been sat for a while, perhaps its down to this.