French speedtrap warning

Just come back from a holiday in France and was told by a friend who lives there, and noticed myself, a couple of new things regarding speed cameras and traps:

Most fixed cameras used to be easily spotted as there would be a sign (black/white car and motorbike with a "WiFi" type symbol) about 500m before it. Since late last year, laws have changed allowing local authoritiesto remove the signs. Some have and some have not, so you will see quite a few now without signs beforehand. My satnav still seemed to display most of them however, so not so bad as it could be.

More sneaky is the use of plain unmarked cars with radar traps on Autoroutes. I saw a white Ford Focus with its bonnet open, facing oncoming traffic, with a speedtrap camera sitting on top of the front panel/radiator (!), and also a a red Renault Megane in a gateway with the camera just visible pointing out of an open rear window. How sneaky is that? Both these were on 130kph roads so not really an issue for me in the Spitfire but will be for those in sixes, etc.  Also saw the usual pairs of Gendarmes on blue motorbikes.

Some of you may know this already, but I though I'd mention it.  There's also discussion going on in the French parliament at the moment of putting anyone who is caught doing more than 60kph over the limit in jail. Not law at the moment, but might be, although not by September of course.

Frog popping.....?  :-/

Thanks for the info Mike.  We did (ahem) get a flash in 2009 somewhere in the darkness of the first night but never heard any more about it.  Hopefully they won't be waiting at the port to nab us.....  Makes you jump when the damn thing goes off in your face!

Nick

Mike,
You used a Gatzo-spotting SatNav?   Radar/laser detectors are against the law in France!  A device like a Snooper or Road Angel on display on the dashboard, is to invite the penalty of confiscation and a fine, even if you haven't broken the speed limit, as it is difficult to tell and even more diffcult to convince a Freench policeman that it is merely a GPS-based device. Is your French good enough??
  See: http://www.snooper-radar-detectors.co.uk/questions.htm
SatNav using GPS may be OK, but beware - Msr.Le Gendarme may want to make you sorry.

And Nick.  If the "damn thing went off in your face", are you sure you were on the correct side of the road?  Conduire a la gauche, ne c'est pas?

John

sparky_spit wrote:

More sneaky is the use of plain unmarked cars with radar traps on Autoroutes. I saw a white Ford Focus with its bonnet open, facing oncoming traffic, with a speedtrap camera sitting on top of the front panel/radiator (!)

You don't have to go to France to see that Mike, you don't even need to leave Essex (or was it Suffolk?)

:-(

JohnD - it was a bog standard TomTom One with an up-to-date European map and saftey camera update. The notification "bong" can be disabled, as can the whole feature if need be.

VR - I think I'll go for a mask of Her Maj... failing that Bill Oddie (as per TG in Japan) would be good.

Nick - "Frog Popping" is a reference to the last 10CR when I won the competition for the most frogs squashed on the road going up the Petit St Bernard.

thescrapman wrote:

You don't have to go to France to see that Mike, you don't even need to leave Essex (or was it Suffolk?)

:-(

Really?  I'd better be careful then.

I have seen a copper on a black unmarked motorbike nicking someone in the layby on the A12 at Brentwood.

I also got flashed in France last time.  Reminded me of a old North Carolina Speed trap.
Speed limit 50, then 30, FLASH and in about 100ft speed limit 50 again.  In the middle of noware!  Never heard any more about it.   Frog popping OK but please no more trying that with SHEEP!   After all some need sheep for someone to love as no one else will.

• 2 weeks later...

"only in France" pah! the only country I have ever been `done` in and all for poultry reasons...going over a white line ,going down a quiet country road, no other cars in sight..........except a police van .Pulled me over £80 ..........in 1982,and that was a lot of money in those days

We were late heading back to Motorail in Bologna,Italy and I was going `rather fast`.I caught up with a Polizia car with blue flashing lights on a call, his arm came out the window,...........and he waived me past  ....aha the mad Inglese!

Archived