Dover Fuel and Roadworks

SteveJP

Been down to Dover and back today on both M20 and A2. The last petrol stations using the M20 route are in Dover itself where there are 2 BP stations just before the Port selling unleaded at 135.9. If you want to, you can also try Tesco's just off J12 of the M20 (Cheriton), don't know the current price there though.

Similarly, if you decide to come straight down the A2 there is a Tesco Extra just off the Whitfield Roundabout that has fuel, again, not sure of the price there.

A word of warning, on the M20 from J13 the road narrows to 1 Lane due to ongoing bridge repairs just before the twin tunnels. These cause about 15 minutes delay during busy times (like today!). There are no roadworks on the M2/A2 route from the M25 to Dover, but you do have to contend with some single carriageway and traffic lights.

Hope this helps

Steve

If you want petrol prices in France try this site but watch what date prices were updated.

http://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/

If you want to fill up in Calais Carrefour is a few minutes off the main road out of the ferry terminal, watch the speed bumps, and it's 24 hr but only the pumps on the left hand side that take cards.  It's normally one of the cheapest as well.

Safe driving to all participants.

Coming down to the Plough on the 8th from Worcestershire where's the nearest petrol station that sells 98 octane? I can normally get to Dover from home on just less than a tankfull but the detour to the Plough will make things a tad marginal

cheers!

car#45

1101 wrote:
Coming down to the Plough on the 8th from Worcestershire where's the nearest petrol station that sells 98 octane? I can normally get to Dover from home on just less than a tankfull but the detour to the Plough will make things a tad marginal

cheers!

car#45

There is Tesco a couple of miles north and one a couple of miles south of the end of Bullsmoor Lane, which you will use to get to the Plough if you turn off at J25 for Enfield. Other brands also in Bullsmoor lane.

If you come off at the Potters Bar turn then go north a mile to find a Tesco and a few other brands.

Cheers

Colin

MikeyB wrote:
And don't forget the roadworks on the M25 between Ju28 & the Dartford Tunnel - was horrendous the other day :-(

yes, really looking forward to that, we've got to go through them twice, on the way to The Plough, then back to Dover! All in the space of a couple of hours :-/

Makes me think about starting the run at Steenvoorde if Eliis would let us! (or Dover!) ;D ;D ;D

gairn wrote:
dont take a full fuel can onto the ferry we were stopped going onton the boat with ours. We had to pour 20 litres down a drain literally could not give it away back at BP in Dover

Was that the last 10CR? I think I went past you when you were being searched with my 10 litres in the boot! Luck of the draw methinks!

Morale here - don't fill your tank full if you're carrying fuel in cans! - top up at Steenvoorde - we all do anyway!

Why? You may as well leave them empty if you've got the space in your tank for their contents. Saves you having to stop sooner as well. My cans were empty on the way to France and full when I came back. I was never checked though and the same goes for the IOW ferry. In fact, I've never been stopped, not even in Andorra. Rather surprising when you think of how rough the Herald looks!

MikeyB wrote:
And don't forget the roadworks on the M25 between Ju28 & the Dartford Tunnel - was horrendous the other day :-(

Don't be brave or perhaps foolish and go for what appears to bethe fast moving single outside lane teh other side of the central reservation. It stops dead regularly, keep to the 2 slow lanes with the lorries and such like, that way you ahve somewhere to go when it slows down.

Cheers

Colin

ferny wrote:
Why? You may as well leave them empty if you've got the space in your tank for their contents. Saves you having to stop sooner as well. My cans were empty on the way to France and full when I came back. I was never checked though and the same goes for the IOW ferry. In fact, I've never been stopped, not even in Andorra. Rather surprising when you think of how rough the Herald looks!

Because in a Spitfire boot the spare fuel cans are under a mountain of other stuff which you don't want to move unless you have to. Therefore you don't want to have to dig them out at the first petrol station in France to fill them up. If I don't fill up the car's tank at Dover there will be enough space in it to empty 10 litres into it if forced to by security people. If I don't have to do that, there will still be enough petrol in the tank to get me to the first French control stop/filling station.

gairn wrote:
literally could not give it away back at BP in Dover

Don't think you would have that problem this time, what with 60 thirsty Triumphs in the queue behind you... :-)

I was stopped going onto the Harwich ferry this year, asked me if the can was full, it was, had a quick chat between themselves and then said they couldn't think of a good reason to not allow it, so let me straight onto the ferry.

I'll make sure I have a funnel just in case,...... :-)

Cheers

Colin

1045 wrote:
What are you guys planning! I was 80miles short of Paris when I filled up for the first time  ;D

At 20mpg (if I'm lucky!) I should just make Steenvoorde after filling up at The Plough. Still, it is very comfortable in the Stag :)

Archived