TRR Castle Combe 12/4

Clive

• 1 month later...

Hi Clive

I don't want to discourage you, but Castle Combe would hardly keep your attention for more than 5 laps.  

Remember we are eligible to enter MGs-on-Track TDs and there are many to choose from.  I am going to Donington, but that is sold out.  Have a look at their website.     http://www.mgs-on-track.com/?

Cadwell and Snetterton are coming up.  I may well go to Snetterton on 23rd May.  It would be good to get a few Triumphs there.  Snetterton is a good, interesting and safe circuit that if you are in the SE or East Midlands is easy to get to.

Hmm, I am sure it will be a good day. I picked up on it via the TDC and it fits perfectly for trying my scooby diff conversion. At least I can say I tied it!
Looks like I may have a hectic year with work (at least until October) but I hope to slot a few more in this year.
On the plus side, Molly (my youngest) is coming to Castle Combe as a passenger, and should get to do a few passenger sessions with good drivers. ie not me.
And she is booked onto the MGOT car handling day at Weald, supposed to be ideal for total novices. We shall see how that all progresses

Quoted from cliftyhanger
On the plus side, Molly (my youngest) is coming to Castle Combe as a passenger, and should get to do a few passenger sessions with good drivers. ie not me.
And she is booked onto the MGOT car handling day at Weald, supposed to be ideal for total novices. We shall see how that all progresses

Don't under rate yourself. You went well at Donington 2015 and each time you are out you get better.

Great idea to take Molly to North Weald.  She'll have a blast and may get hooked on autosolos, as that is in effect what the afternoon is.

Motor Sport Vision (Bedford, Snetterton, Cadwell etc.)  do young driver sessions that you may find useful. have a look at

http://www.msvdrivinggifts.com/driving-experience/youngdrive!.aspx

Ah, Molly has a full licence, but little experience (yet!)
See how she gets on.
And I see what you mean about CC now I have had a look at some on-board footage on the tube of you. Nowhere near as much going on as Donnington.

I will have to see how the old budget goes, but Snetterton looks hopeful, if not now maybe at a later date. And Goodwood I would like to return to at some point.

My track day plans for 2016 are in pieces.  I have come back from skiing with a broken wrist and 3 broken ribs after someone took me out.  I have been to the fracture clinic today and they have told me I may have to be in plaster for 12 weeks.  And I have never been plastered before  

That blows my plans for going to Donington in March, Bedford in April and Spa in June.

C'est la guerre.

If I had not been wearing a helmet my injuries would have been very serious, or worse.  I really recommend wearing one when skiing or cycling.

I am not able to drive at the moment so my preparation of my Saab for Spa will have to wait.  I had planned to go in June but it will be sold out by the time I have proved the car as well as you can in the UK.  Brakes are a potential problem at Spa as there are 2 stops from 155mph to 50 mph each lap in this car, so I need to test that I wont get brake fade.  After June the year is filled up with other things like Classic Le Mans.  I have some Mintex 1155 pads that I have just fitted before my skiing accident. I need to test them at Bedford or Silverstone.

• 1 month later...

Well, got home last night after a day at Castle Combe.
I "think" I was the only CT car there, although I noticed a sunstrip on a blue TR8 as we were leaving.....
I was in a group of dolomites, most of which had done CC before. And a race GT6 which I never saw on the track, and a 2000 with a BMW engine. So most/all the odd-balls (non-TR's)

Took me ages to remember the track, it lacks distinguishing features which made life difficult. But nice small groups, and all pretty well behaved, though faster cars do tend to be clear about their intentions, which is to be expected.
The day was dry except for a torrential downpour early PM. Just as we were waiting to go out. (luckily we saw rain coming and had the roof up) I though we may get bumped off our session, but no, once the rain stopped (it was really torrential, would not have been clever to be on track) the marshalls zipped round in the course car and then warned us of a couple of puddled areas, then off we went. A bit slower, but ideal for learning the course again.

After the rain, many of teh TRs seemed to have gone home, so it went open pitlane, and we had some great fun. I discovered a bit of extra throttle travel that I hadn't noticed earlier, and Molly tells me my lap times were improving. Still a way to go, the good drivers from our group were 7 seconds a lap quicker than me (1min 36) in similar power/weight cars. So I have to improve my driving by a fair chunk....Still, best way is to do a few more!