Gearbox identification?

Olip100

Hello!

Hoping someone with a knowledge of gearbox numbers can help. 

The below photo is of the identification number on the o/d gearbox in my Vitesse mk1 2 litre.

As far as I know, I expected to see HC, or at least KC if at some point it had been replaced with a GT6 unit.

So I'm really confused because it looks like.. maybe CR...if I squint.

Any thoughts what this gearbox is/where it came from?

Thanks,

Oli

Very helpful thank you! My next question would have been about it being restampted so that's useful to know. 

That makes sense because there is no synchromesh on 1st gear but I had previously that down to the poor condition of my first gear which doesn't have much life left

Reason for asking about the gearbox number is that I'm trying to work out what's best, to have it rebuilt or find another unit.

I understand the 1600 gearbox is a lot weaker, especially for the 2 Litre - it looks like having it rebuilt might be a false economy, so a more appropriate replacement is needed.

I dont agree that its a lot weaker than the 2L unit but your 1st gear must be a pain as I find my later higher ratio still rather low for my Vitesse. This might influence your decision but the cost of sourcing a later gearbox will be pretty high as it will have to be an OD one even if it doesnt come with the OD and then, if possible, you transfer yours onto it....

How do you drive the car and how many miles a year are you planning on doing?

I don't do huge trips in it, and it won't get much use in the winter so likely in the low to mid thousands of miles. 

Yeah first gear is.. interesting. Barely get the wheels rolling before going into 2nd. But it's alright when used to it. I didn't mind until a few weeks ago when it started making rather and very alarming clunking/rattling noise.

I'm going to try and (hopefully) find at local gearbox rebuilder who I can trust with classic boxes and get some quotes.

I've seen a GT6 O/D box for £560 online if I go down the replace route.

Possible problems I can see are:

Most overhauled gearboxes are not outright purchase but require a serviceable exchange unit and yours probably wont qualify as its not a straight swop.

Secondhand OD gearboxes are getting increasing difficult to buy and theres no guarantees as to their condition.

Finding a good repairer isnt so easy and now spare parts are also becoming a problem both in terms of availablity and the quality of pattern parts.

However on a positive note hopefully your noises are just down to the usual wear which if caught soon enough is straight forward to repair.

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like this is going to be challenge.

Do you know if modifications would have been necessary to have put in the 1600 gearbox into my Mk1 2 Litre? Flywheel, propshaft ect.

Just occured to me if is that is the case then only a 1600 gearbox will now fit. That would limit me to getting the current gearbox rebuilt essentially.

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like this is going to be challenge.

Do you know if modifications would have been necessary to have put in the 1600 gearbox into my Mk1 2 Litre? Flywheel, propshaft ect.

Just occured to me if is that is the case then only a 1600 gearbox will now fit. That would limit me to getting the current gearbox rebuilt essentially.

I pretty certain the two gearboxes are identical externally so no modifications would have been necessary...

Do you know if your car was an overdrive model from the start as maybe someone fitted the 1600 box because it was an easier way to have OD? 

I can't say for certain. I don't have any of the initial paperwork only as far as early 70's. The VIN doesn't have an O which I think would indicate factory overdrive so that would suggest not.

The engine itself has been replaced at some point - the number is ME - so Triumph 2000 saloon. I wouldn't expect that makes a difference.

That's the unit below. Though I know you said the casing is identical. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UHKZmo4dhtNNBqLx5 

Look for Mike Papworth on here, I used Tony Lindsey- Dean 01359 269777 

http://www.gt6mk2.com/gearbox.html

As a few guys know sometimes Tony needs a bit of chasing, but my gearbox and overdrive are fantastic both up graded to cope with my 2500 engine, also Tony rebuilt my diff, 

he's a real gem, and free with information, if you pop into see him just take chocolate biscuits 

Quoted from Olip100-

I can't say for certain. I don't have any of the initial paperwork only as far as early 70's. The VIN doesn't have an O which I think would indicate factory overdrive so that would suggest not.

The engine itself has been replaced at some point - the number is ME - so Triumph 2000 saloon. I wouldn't expect that makes a difference.

That's the unit below. Though I know you said the casing is identical. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UHKZmo4dhtNNBqLx5 

ME engine is Mk2 type and will probably have a softer cam than original Vitesse one.

More reliable exhaust manifold and head gasket though