Coast 2 Coast 2020 - Corona Virus

Chriss

Hi All

I expect that entrants and potential entrants will be wondering how the Corona Virus Pandemic will affect the Coast 2 Coast 2020.

You will appreciate that this is a fast developing situation and it is one that CT is taking very seriously. There is no current advice that precludes us from running it, but this may change in the next five weeks.

The main factors affecting us are:

The spread of the virus
     Government instruction
     MSUK Instruction
     Entrants opinion
     Availability of restaurants
     Availability of fuel
     Alternative dates
    Other factors yet unforeseen

At the moment is would be a bit premature to make any definitive decisions, but it is our intention to run the event if we can. I will keep you up to date with current thinking and will communicate with entrants by email as things develop.  Please make sure that your email addresses are up to date in your details.

Best wishes, Chris

Coast to Coast Run 2020 - Postponement

Earlier I mailed entrants to explain that in this developing situation we would try to run the C2C 20 but that events were likely to overtake us and I would mail you again when I had something more definite to tell you.  We have just received this from Motorsport UK

Motorsport UK COVID-19 Update

It is with regret that Motorsport UK is suspending all organising permits and Certificates of Exemption until at least 30th April 2020. This suspension follows the latest guidance issued by HM UK Government in response to the outbreak of COVID-19. This position will be constantly reviewed given prevailing information. 

Therefore we will be unable to run the C2C 20 on April 25th / 26th.

I have been able to reschedule the restaurants for 4th & 5th July and it is our intention to run the event then if conditions permit.  I am very sorry to have to do this.  I know many entrants are really looking forward to the event and some won’t be able to make the rescheduled date. For the moment this looks like the only alternative date.

I have yet to work out the logistics of how this will work administratively.  For the moment please will each entrant mail me at cshaw00001@gmain.com stating whether you will participate on 4 /5 July or wish to withdraw from the event. Please would you do this by Tuesday 24th March.

I will review the response and let you know how we will proceed.

This now opens up an opportunity for potential entrants who were not able to enter on 25 / 26 April.  Please let me know at the email above if you would like to enter. 

Thank you very much for your co-operation.

Quoted from Howard-

Why not wait in case it has to be postponed again to a date you can make?

Will be getting too close to the RBRR if it's postponed any later.

Can always use the route in 2021 since all the organising has been done already.

It won't be the end of the world even though Katy and I were really looking forward to the run.

Jim.

Quoted from McJim Too-
Quoted from Howard-

Why not wait in case it has to be postponed again to a date you can make?

Will be getting too close to the RBRR if it's postponed any later.

Can always use the route in 2021 since all the organising has been done already.

It won't be the end of the world even though Katy and I were really looking forward to the run.

Jim.

Have to agree, 2021 is not that far away, although Janet and I wont be able to make that one either 😞

Jason

Many of the entrants have sent me emails by returning the circular that I sent out saying that they wished to withdraw. I have done it this way for the reason that Howard suggested.  This is convenient for me to do it this way so that I have a record in one place that I can refer to and update my spreadsheets only once. I organise and administer this event by myself and have to be efficient in my administration.

July is the only date available in the CT calendar that is not too close to the RBRR, but it may be a bit soon and the pandemic may well not have subsided enough. I may have to postpone again or cancel the event for 2020.. 

Options for a postponement are not great, but if enough people wanted to do it in November then that may be a possibility.  It will give me problems preparing for the 2021, but I expect I'll cope. If July is not possible I will seek opinion on November and if there are insufficient interested then I will cancel the 2020 event and refund all entrants then.

I hope this is helpful, Chris

16 have returned my mail saying that they are still up for it, 4 cannot make the new date, 1 needs a new co-driver, I am sure we will be able to find one, 1 is undecided and 24 have not responded.  I'll take the non responses as undecided. 

I think the situation for the 4th/5th is undecided for the next  8 weeks.  I'll update everyone as soon as there is some certainty.

Stay healthy, Chris

Sitting here watching the News and they've just announced that 28 people died in England in the last 24 hours.

Let's not kid ourselves, this is going to get incredibly desperate with that number rising exponentially.

Just look what's happening in Italy, Spain and France - that's what we're in for.

Even the Olympics are postponed for a year and here we are hoping against hope that we'll be able to run a classic car run across the country just a few days after the MSA may, and I stress may, start to issue permits for events.

It makes me start to wonder about the viability of the RBRR in October.

It don't look good folks.

Jim.

Jim I concur, and the 28 deaths in England yesterday were probably a blip on the graph, as there were 87 in the UK the day before. 

I have also been wondering about the RBRR. Given the scale of events it would be a fairly small thing to complain about if it can't happen this year - others I know have had to postpone weddings or cancel holidays. 

Was looking at the Imperial College study that came out last weekend and part of that hints that the travel & work restrictions might have to be re-introduced several times after the present outbreak has been contained. So whenever the curfew is lifted, we can't bank on that being the end of it for long. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chris, sorry for the late reply. I may be able to make the revised date however I think this will be cancelled completely as I think we will still be in lock down.

i appreciate it must be time consuming and difficult to organise, hoping this virus just goes away but we know that won’t happen

stay safe.

Hi Jason, I am expecting MSUK's to extend the suspension of event permits in line with Govt regulations.  So I think the chances of running the event in July are very slim.  I'll have to find out what is happening with the RBRR before attempting any other arrangements.