10Cr 2019 "regulations". MOT required?

Roger Keys

Good spot... yes that is a "taken from previous version"...

You will be signing a declaration to say your car is roadworthy and adequately insured etc. at the beginning of the event when signing on. This is all we request.

If your car is now MOT exempt, and you have chosen not to voluntarily get the car tested, it's up to you... I for one will be getting my car tested, as I want the peace of mind my car will be safe when throwing it round hairpin bends in the Alps.

How much do you value your life (and the others in the car) against saving a few quid? We ALL miss things on cars, so best to get it at least checked over by someone else.

By the time this edition will be run you (the UK) are on your own in Europe thx to Brexit. So you'll probably have to comply to the countries regulations we're travelling through. Something to bear in mind, so I'd take Ellis' advice and have the car tested just in case a French Gendarme had a bad night 😛

• 3 months later...

Aside from all the every obvious safety reasons for having an valid MoT which are outlined above, I have been stopped in Switzerland on a previous 10CR and aside from the usual passport checks they spent some time inspecting the car's paperwork (V5, Insurance docs and the MoT) and we were glad to have the full gamut of paperwork for the car, as I would have imagined we might well have been there for quite some time trying to explain that we don't need an MoT.

The other thing that is of concern to me is that if you are unfortunate enough to be involved in an incident (in the UK or Europe) and you don't have (or need) an MoT and YOU have missed something and your car is technically unsafe how will your insurer react to this? Would you be be personally be liable? Who knows but I don't intend to find out!