Spitfire seat belts help

phillip ridley

Hello I'm looking for mk3 spitfire seatbelt but looking for modern inertia reel type for safety can anyone recommend a vehicle type I could get used ones from possibly from a breakers as I don't have a lot off cash at the minute as I'm at the final stage off the project . Thanks in advance phill

I am pretty sure nothing modern will fit a spitfire due to the way it has to be mounted, both the reel and guide on the arch, and the buckle the belt plugs into.

Also most modern cars have explosive charges in the buckle bit to pretension the belts.

You can buy new inertia belts designed for spitfires, that is the best bet.

I still prefer static belts, inertia reels pull downwards on your shoulder and it irritates me.

Cheers

Colin

Got a pair of securon 500/15 off ebay for a little over £50.
I think they recommend the 500/30, but the stalk is just too long. The 15 uses a solid (15cm) plate. And there are 90 degree brackets in the kit to enable fitting to the std stalk mounts. (I forget if the mk3 has the same stalk mountings either side of the tunnel and into the chassis rails as the later cars)

Very easy to fit, and no concerns over the belts history.

I  thought that breakers were not allowed  to  sell seat belts as if the car had been involved in an accident then they may be damaged or if modern ones then the pretensioner will have been activated.
If it was me I would want to know that the seat belt would be fit for purpose. Personally I prefer inertia reel belts particularly if there is more than one driver/passenger as the they automatically adjust rather than having to adjust it manually.  If it was too big then there is the temptation to leave as is and have a slack belt which will then not perform correctly if you were to have to rely on it.
Hope you get it sorted.

Quoted from cliftyhanger
Got a pair of securon 500/15 off ebay for a little over £50.
I think they recommend the 500/30, but the stalk is just too long. The 15 uses a solid (15cm) plate. And there are 90 degree brackets in the kit to enable fitting to the std stalk mounts. (I forget if the mk3 has the same stalk mountings either side of the tunnel and into the chassis rails as the later cars)

Very easy to fit, and no concerns over the belts history.

Thanks I think this is probably the way to go safety being more important using inertia real belts I will have to look at the mounting points for fittment I will look at the eBay items and the tssc site have few kits at reasonable price .thank for that 😊

Quoted from dusz
I  thought that breakers were not allowed  to  sell seat belts as if the car had been involved in an accident then they may be damaged or if modern ones then the pretensioner will have been activated.
If it was me I would want to know that the seat belt would be fit for purpose. Personally I prefer inertia reel belts particularly if there is more than one driver/passenger as the they automatically adjust rather than having to adjust it manually.  If it was too big then there is the temptation to leave as is and have a slack belt which will then not perform correctly if you were to have to rely on it.
Hope you get it sorted.

I'm not sure the rules on used belts but that's a good point new belts it will have to be I think thanks for that. Phill

Hi phill,

If you are fitting inertia reel, really you need to fit a mounting point at the bottom of the wheel arch for the inertia reel. The static belts fit to the sill plate but if you fit an inertia reel here it twists commin out of the reel and does not return properly.

Its not an MOT failure but it does ware the belt quickly and mean the belt doesnt tension properly. Mine are fitted like this at the moment and they are really anoying. The MOT man recomended going back to statics or moving the mounting. I prefer inertia reel so plan to move the mounting but as my car is fully built moving it will require finding a way to fit the mounting plate without damaging the paint and trim.

Regards,
Andy

Quoted from gfiandy
Hi phill,

If you are fitting inertia reel, really you need to fit a mounting point at the bottom of the wheel arch for the inertia reel. The static belts fit to the sill plate but if you fit an inertia reel here it twists commin out of the reel and does not return properly.

Its not an MOT failure but it does ware the belt quickly and mean the belt doesnt tension properly. Mine are fitted like this at the moment and they are really anoying. The MOT man recomended going back to statics or moving the mounting. I prefer inertia reel so plan to move the mounting but as my car is fully built moving it will require finding a way to fit the mounting plate without damaging the paint and trim.

Regards,
Andy

Thanks Andy think I will go for the static one I don't want to start cutting Panals to modify for inertia real I think as the paint is done and on the last couple off jobs I think I will get the belts from tssc thanks for that Andy