Tub-bulkhead join on treadplate

Shaunengland

Hi all,

I am currently halfway through my herald restoration and could do with a few opinions. I am at the point where I am lining up the body which is fine, but I am stumped as to what to do with the part of the treadplate where the tub overlaps the bulkhead. Do people fill this or weld or or something else? Any help/photos would be great thank you!

Not welded. I think I used some sealer in there. The join in the floorpan join uses some rubber impregnated canvas from the factory. The factory workshop manual will list the "correct" stuff, but something non-setting or at least not too strong would be best. 

The treadplate is part of the floorpan. I have always made mine single skin, by cutting the old one off, then a strip of steel welded to the floorpan, then weld the new treadplate to that. The treadplate is supported by the bracket onto the siderail, so no weld should be required, it certainly wasn't from the factory.

HI all,

Thanks again for the replies. I have already fitted Chig Doig double skinned treadplates and have replaced most of the treadplate that is on the bulkhead with new metal. I have 5-10mm "gap" between the 2 ends (no a gap as such as there is no hole if you get what I mean) I just though I should make it a bit more presentable and waterproof before painting!

Thanks

Shaun

That section of overlap highlighted in the picture should be left exactly as it is but with some suitable mastic in the overlap. If a little mastic exudes into the visible bit, before painting, then smooth it down and paint over it. If assembling after painting then just clean it off with turps.