Spot on with the person Derek, it was Alan Renew speaking as Club Chairman although the year was 1986.
That year as well doing my first RBRR I was working in Local Radio and took a portable tape recorder to try and record some interviews and actuality. None of it has been heard before but I'll try and get the whole thing edited and online should anyone be interested.
Here's another excerpt -

[Sorry, link no longer available]

Who can tell me -
1. The person?
2. The location?

The latter is easy but I don't actually know the answer to the identity, maybe Derek can work it out from the entry lists.

Keith

OK, here's a link to the whole thing-

[Sorry, link no longer available]

You will hear-

Alan Renew (CTNL Chairman) at Broadfields Garage
Derek Pollock (then CTNL Secretary) at Fair City Services Perth
Unknown Acclaim driver at the Seaview (surprised no-one guessed that location)
Trevor Pepper (Herald 1200 owner) outside the Seaview.

Interspersed with a couple of idiots and a terrible interviewer that I can only apologise for.

Keith

Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo
I note (as well as the sound being surprisingly good quality for an old recording) that at around the 6 min mark it is definitely referred to as a 'race' and later 'track' rather than road. How times change eh? 😉

Yes, a bit late to give him a 'slap on the wrist' for that now!

Recording was done on standard reporters kit, a Uher 4000L (or possibly a 4000IC) at 7.5ips half track with a Beyer omni mic.Quality wise you couldn't do much better these days really.

Keith

Even so with the equipment being good, with the changes of format I'd have expected a loss in quality maybe? Still nice to listen to, and quite nice for me too, listening to interviews that took place whilst I was being born, and some near-30 years later, I am now participating in the exact same event!! I love the discussion about a 1962 Herald being in the condition it is 'for it's age', and now one of my Triumphs is an unrestored 1962 Vitesse that is also in a 'well aged condition'.

Quoted from Keith

Recording was done on standard reporters kit, a Uher 4000L (or possibly a 4000IC) at 7.5ips half track with a Beyer omni mic.Quality wise you couldn't do much better these days really.

Interesting that the Beeb were still using the UHER 4000L as standard outside recording kit in 1988 - when I was at Sheffield in the '70's that's what we used then! Shame you didn't do the interviews two years later, I might have got on the tape!

Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo
Even so with the equipment being good, with the changes of format I'd have expected a loss in quality maybe? Still nice to listen to, and quite nice for me too, listening to interviews that took place whilst I was being born, and some near-30 years later, I am now participating in the exact same event!! I love the discussion about a 1962 Herald being in the condition it is 'for it's age', and now one of my Triumphs is an unrestored 1962 Vitesse that is also in a 'well aged condition'.

Quarter inch tape is a pretty good archival medium really, think how many digital formats have come and gone since that was recorded- PCM-F1 - DCC - DAT - minidisc. Digital is OK but have to keep on constantly renewing the media because you never know how long it will last!
Seems like only yesterday when that was recorded, you're making me feel old now Jonny!

Quoted from mole42

Interesting that the Beeb were still using the UHER 4000L as standard outside recording kit in 1988 - when I was at Sheffield in the '70's that's what we used then! Shame you didn't do the interviews two years later, I might have got on the tape!

Thinking about it probably was the IC version by then, I don't think the L would cope with the higher coercivity tape that we were using. Still the same weight to lug about though!
It would be good to try and do it properly and cover the run in audio, we tend to get saturated by visual media these days but as anyone who works in the medium will tell you - 'the pictures are always better on radio!'
a challenge for someone perhaps.

Keith

Quoted from Keith

Thinking about it probably was the IC version by then, I don't think the L would cope with the higher coercivity tape that we were using.

I need to correct myself, after a bit of online browsing I reckon it would have been a 4000 Report Monitor by then, there doesn't seem to be a Uher saddo website yet but there are few on ebay, and quite cheap too  - hmmm.

Sorry Keith, wasn't trying to make you (or anyone else) feel old! Surely it's good to know that the event is still happening etc, and that people are still wanting to get involved in the event, the cars and the club?

I agree, an audio recording would be nice, not sure how it'd be done, but it would be a nice change from the videos etc.

Quoted from Jonny-Jimbo
Sorry Keith, wasn't trying to make you (or anyone else) feel old! Surely it's good to know that the event is still happening etc, and that people are still wanting to get involved in the event, the cars and the club?

I agree, an audio recording would be nice, not sure how it'd be done, but it would be a nice change from the videos etc.

No problem Jonny, it's good to know that younger people still want to do the event. To do it properly you would probably need a few more 'reporters', people aren't that keen on having microphones thrust at them when they've been driving all night (although Derek was as cool, calm and collected as ever at 4am in a damp Scottish petrol station), and I was finding it hard on my first RBRR which is why the whole thing petered out after John O'Groats. Still I'm glad I got the introduction from Alan, I doubt there are many other recordings of him.

Keith

It could be interesting to rig up microphones in the cars of some of the more... colourful members of the club. I'm sure some amusing clips would be recorded. We'd have had a good one on the 2012 run.

Joe: Do we stay on this road to the left of Perth or to the right?
Dad: We stay on this road to the right of Perth.
Joe: Are you sure, everyone is passing on the left of the town.
Dad: Yes, we go right.
Joe: Okay (**Out of overdrive, throttle on**)
Dad: What're you doing? I said go left!
Joe: *Beep-Beep-Beep-Beeping-Beep-Beeped up, we've gone-Beeping-wrong-again*

I'm sure you had to be there to find it funny, but we've all been there in similar circumstances.