Deer - With JohnD at the wheel, we had a close encounter with a small deer running across the road in front of us - razor sharp braking avoided the collision, but only just.  In the early hours of Saturday morning, I spotted a rather large one by the side of the A9 in Scotland(shire), fortunatly it didn't run across in front of us.

We played dodgems with a deer in Wales, and took out a crow on a bridge in Scotlandshire.

The crow finished off the front number plate.

Had thoughgt about collecting for a snack on teh way back, and pretending that it wasn't us that had hit on teh way up, but it was a touch flat by the time we returned.

We would definately have stopped for the deer if we had caught it, and bungeed it to teh bonnet for later.

What a trophy that would have made!

Colin

Speedo stop working at JoG, clutch started getting a bit strange at Lands Ends but still worked and we hit a phesant at some point on the trip but i cannot remember where:-/
Herald was doing between 35 and 40 MPG up to JOG but with no speedo we gave up counting coming back. :-/

Car 5 Doug and Andy Thompson

Problems pre-event included a FUBAR head which was fixed on Thursday afternoon.

Problems encountered at the Plough before 7pm were a dry rocker shaft (bit of a theme there) and a failed OD switch. Fixed by 6pm with a boost feed pipe and new switch.

problems en-route : changed an injector at Penzance after a failed O-ring started causing flames to come out of the exhaust  :P :P

Used 1 litre of oil and managed 21 mpg... too much playing catch up and maximum attack driving to worry about economy... averaged about 100mph Stirling to Lancaster after arriving over an hour late due to assorted other issues.

Car was running better at the end than the start and was shown no mercy.

I would have retired if had not loaned a rocker feed kit ( new one in post tonight Tim)
Newly reconned speedo stopped working just after Blythe (Thank God for his Road Angel)
Heater wouldn't work, coldest GT6 in history and no demist through Scotland.
Lost high beam about Gordano.
Headlamp rim popped off somewhere on M5.
Stripped down rockers last night. Shaft over 1 & 2 very rough and blued.
First time in a GT6, Brilliant

CAR No 89 GREY MK1 2.5PI
I had no real problems on the run other than a vibrating prop which i was unaware of until it was pointed out to me (i dont normally carry passengers or sit in the back) it starts to kick in at about 75 mph then disapeares and returns with avengance at about 110 and starts pulsing like a chemical brothers track getting faster and faster  until either i back off or the car explodes sadly i have never let it go on long enough to produce the latter.... fuel consumption was 23 mpg, exactly the same as the 2004 run... big things in mind for the 10CR 2007 to get the fuel consumption even lower... change the cam , the one thats in is only very mild and lacks  the grunt to haul 3 people and spares and a full tank of fuel (its normally only carrying me £10 of fuel and no spares)..and few other mods as yet to be thought of.. as victoria beckham once said you can never have too much power and too bigger fuel tank... ps i told a fib, i also had a side light bulb blow, and put some new points in.. well it was a special occasion..  James

JUST A QUICK THOUGHT ON ROCKERS DYING.....      it is possibly the  block worn oval in the cam journals ... the cam is always being forced down and the block wears ..    which in turn stops any oil getting up to the head...... the oil is not directly fed to the head it is forced up there by a scroll ,so if the cam has dropped down it just falls of the top of the cam .... the only remedy is to line bore the block and fit soft metel cam bearings (not cheap)..... i have seen this problem a few times at work and  on my own engine ...  my last engine seized the cam into the block and melted the piston next to the offending journal , when i stripped it down all the bearings in the block were iffy ...  this was on a brand new cam .... i had only covered a few hundred miles and then melt down... on trying to get the cam out of the block metal had been transferred from the block to the cam and when i tried to remove it the extra size split the cam journal  ... end result one scrap block....  my new engine i opted for the cheap route and had cam bearings fitted so it would not happen again...  no problems yet 30,000 miles of high rev use....      james .........ps it might not be this problem but its worth thinking about

Car No.92 Paul and Sam Red Stag V8
No problems really apart from losing a rear shock at John O’Groats  on the single track road  after the Thruso diversion. Realised the car was not handling very well, but thought at the time it may be due to Sam’s erratic driving and the road surface. It became apparent by the time we reached ‘normal’ roads we had serious handling problem and had to take it easy all the way to Exeter where we met Andy Bambi Pearce for replacement shock.
Replacement triumph parts are really starting to p*** me off. Will in future be taking the original old parts in boot in case of  failure of the new ones.
Managed 25mpg in Stag 3.0 V8 which  was better than we expected (previous RBRR was 28mpg in 2.5s estate)
Must get the electronic ignition conversion done!
Cheers P 

[quote by=andythompson link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1160388459,s=33 date=1160570177]Car 5 Doug and Andy Thompson

problems en-route : changed an injector at Penzance after a failed O-ring started causing flames to come out of the exhaust  :P :P

[/quote]

Leave that injector in, the youfs pays good money for that effect! Much respect.

Archived