Let me start this off. Car was going great guns all the way to JOG and then down to stirling but then got a mysterious missfire. Was ok at around 70 but anymore was a no go and accelerating was difficult.Tried allsorts but driving up to lands end I could hardly get up the hills. Changed everything back and added a different coil (thanks Claire & Nigel) still not great but better .Then I switched the rotor arm back to the old one and we were flying still stuttering if you floored it but better than before. (been wondering this morning if its a fueling issue)Other than that performed great.Averaged 80mph in o/d top up hills on the A9 ;Dad and I had alot of fun and and a great weekend met some really nice people (petrol heads) I want KD's vitesse ;D Thanks to all 8)

Report on TAR 199J

Umm, she did not do that well, I suppose just finishing considering the state that she is in is an accolade.

What's wrong:
Central rockers/valves not getting enough lube.
Gearbox: Fubar, difficult to get gears and strangely going into 4th I can easily beat the synchro.
Propshaft: Fubar
Diff: not sure
Driveshafts: UJs and Rotoflexes: Fubar.

Seriously thinking about swing springing the rear end.

Other problems: Rubbish new fuel pump- thanks AJP for loan of std glass bowled AC Delco pump.
Still got to sort out engine venting.

Good things: The engine pulls like a train, she handles well and cockpit heat is def. down.

The biggest problem is that organising the event and actually entering a vehicle might be a bit much.

The Vitesse sits in shame - I will be collecting it later on today and will be beating the crap out of it whilst hurling obscenities - tickets are being sold for this event :-) Results will be Blogged.

20 mins prep on the GT6 was enough - there were very few issues - we lost main beam but a little lucas connection fiddling retrived it - the dash main beam warning light then refused to work but as you can imagine, we didn't bother worrying about that. The only thing that needs replacing on the car now is, I think, the steering joint. There was a little play in the steering, nothing major but Andy says this is definatley worse so he'll investigate - as he says, the steering UJ has been in there for 15+ years and could well be knackered.

I've just done the maths and we averaged 33 MPG driving as economically as we did I found that very surprising!

We were hoping to do it without issue, but that went to pot when we had to clean out the washer jet that was bunged up.......

So having failed in our quest for 100% reliabiity, we went the whole hog and fitted 2 new o-rings to the bottom of the carbs. It looks like the large amount of nice fresh fuel that passed through and the lead-replacement additive disolved the crud sealing the old ones in.

A real testament to a £50 car, rescued from a trip to the great Triumph Carpark in the sky.

And boy did it fly (when I wasn't driving!)

And to top it all off, it was great to see that a car that had 100's of millions spent on it couldn't even manage 200 miles over the weekend.

Though I am thinking of firing off a quick letter knowing that he might be at a loose end in 2008........

:-)

Colin

We were very lucky I think... I told James we wouldn't get to Scotland on thursday.

Problems:
- Car used a gallon of oil ish...
- The brake pads are cooked. They were bad already, but after James OWNING the welsh section and me suddenly learning how to drive with spirit across Dartmoor I think its metal on metal now.
- My back aches.

Ok i'm going back to bed in a minute. Stuff this awake malarky.

A few problems, nothing too major....

Discovered a leaky fuel hose @ Enfield (not a great start!) - a quick swapout on the start line.
Dodgy connection on brake light - bit of WD40 sorted that.
3 Dash bulbs going made night driving a bit interesting - We just put up with it.
Car used almost as much water as it did petrol - I really must fix that leak....
Carbs managed to lean themselves out somewhere between the start and the Wales section, resulting in a tuneup session at Gordano.
Wobbly NSF wheel discovered at Conan Bridge - possibly wheel bearing, but I elected to carry on anyway, and keep an eye on it. It didn't get any worse.
Car developed a nasty misfire under load - eventually discovered (in Dartmoor) that it was blowing back into the front carb. Stuck/burnt valve, maybe?  :-/

On the whole, I'm quite impressed - I didn't expect it to be this easy! Now I've just got to see what the problem is with this valve.

Jason. Just to keep up the vitesse angle my car averaged 30mpg,only drunk about 7 litres of oil. I have also established she was only too happy to cruise at 80mph as and when when available. Not bad for a 35 year old. the original engine still in the car  passed the 100,000 mark  jst before the event. They did sometimes build good cars. Only problem we had was the windscreen switch giving up the ghost. Still at 80mph the wind did a good job. No I meant the wind outside the car not inside. great to meet McJim. Seems as daft in the flesh as on the web. Malc. red vitesse.

problems? what are they???!!! my spit was prob the best car (reliability wise) that i've ever driven on the eleven RBRRs i've done. the engine never missed a beat and everything worked as it should. the only issues i had were another duff aftermarket starter motor, meaning a bump start at all the stops, (how hard can it be to make a starter motor that lasts more than six months?)  and i now have a slight whine in third gear. i'm not too bothered about this cos i've remembered how much you need overdrive, after 2000 miles without it fitted!!
the only other thing is the continuing saga of the poorly fitting phoenix exhaust system, after cutting and welding to make it fit the manifold is fine, but the rest of the brand new system will have to go because the fit is attrocious and man is it low!!!  OR i could just not drive in Scotland again!!

[quote by=xyv link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1160388459,s=8 date=1160397309]the fit is attrocious and man is it low!!!  OR i could just not drive in Scotland again!![/quote]

I think I followed you for a few miles when you left Conon Bridge and I noticed that -- it's very low  :o

Heaps of respect BTW for ploughing on into that weather with the roof down -- it was too much for me, I must be getting soft  8) :o ;D

[quote by=Spitfire2500 link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1160388459,s=10 date=1160399746]

I think I followed you for a few miles when you left Conon Bridge and I noticed that -- it's very low  :o

Heaps of respect BTW for ploughing on into that weather with the roof down -- it was too much for me, I must be getting soft  8) :o ;D[/quote]

it wasn't raining under the duvet!!! ;D ;D

Shed update

Blew all its oil out between Bristol and Exeter good job Pud stopped to run a deer over on route to my house to pick up a damper for Sam and his Bro in the Stag, he thought the green oil light flickering was the indicator! and he hadnt been keeping an eye on the pressure gauge! fault was a blocked breather
Repaired the deer damage at my house and got the damper to the lads at exeter and we all made it round, I lost the brakes leaving dartmoor (master clylinder) so took the easy route back and picked up another body...long story!
But all in all impressed with the shed the more you flogged it the better it got!
Drove sweet as a nut back from london today saw 6,000 rpm a couple of times on the 303 and used no oil!

Its now completed a 10CR and a RBR not bad for a £200 car

From the Acclaimers - A fantastic trip.

Oil consumption looked serious on the way to JoG - 1litre to Edinburgh, and another 1/2 to JoG, and then it all settled down, not using any more on the remainder of the trip.

Suffered a cracked exhaust pipe shortly after leaving Pimperne - was going to leave it alone, but the crack started to propogate, which could have resulted in loosing the exhaust.  So a quick repair at Goodwood - Red Bull tin and a couple of Jubilee clips - Sorry Vin, we had to sacrifice the exhaust bling to get the Jubilee clips to fix the front section.  Special thanks to the TR7 team who were repairing their exhaust at Gordano using Coca-Cola tins.  You guys "borrowed"our tube of exhaust  paste - it would have been nice to have got it back :)  :P  :B  However, we discovered that Red Bull obviously works better than Coca Cola, as our repair worked without needing the paste.

The only real spare part that we took with us (an electronic ignition module) remains in its box to be used as the only necessary spare next time ;D

37 MPG for the entire trip, and only £235 on petrol  ;D
Just how much were we hammering the poor Acclaim, and still got 37MPG !!!!!!!

Hear hear, Rain-X is essential. We applied it at the first stop, and topped it up again (from tims bottle.. Cheers!) at lands end. Agree its best at night, it makes wipers pointless in light rain, and aids them heavy rain.

With spray off the road you have to let the spray build up enough so that it beads and rolls off, so its often tempting to use the wipers and end up with muddy water smears.

Mist-X is pretty good for the inside to, but we didnt use it on this trip as you need to cut the class back to nothing with something alchoholic, and then apply the mist-x in a pretty accurate way to avoid massive greasy swirls.

You can get a fair idea of my car problems on the video clip thread ::)

Still, I got BRP home OK and it managed 30 MPG despite running with very little/no oil and/or no water combined with high engine temperatures at various times

:)Car 40:No problems at all, but our last 2 RBRR's we did have major problems i.e 2002 UJ joint on the prop, no overdrive and 2004 broken rocker arm,  fuel pump and 3 lots of points fitted.......so I think we deserved a brake from it.

Thanks Mick ;)

Archived