I'll have you know we have a fine dynamo and because of our candle in a jam jar headlights and lack of anything else electrical we should be able to sustain a sat nav (oh and I have spare batteries for the PDA and the GPS receiver is solar powered!)

jcarruthers wrote:

We do run through the night Jason....

WHAT!?! But where do we dine? I've had the butler pack my dinner jacket -next you're going to be telling me there's no cocktails in the afternoon!

It's got a battery that is charged up by the solar cell - of course we could just hang it in front of the candle in a jam jar and charge it that way - I'm sure there's something fundamentally wrong with that idea!

I don't have a very good relationship with SAt-Nav's after what "Slag-Nav" did to us going over the Stevio on the 10CR in 2005, and her mate trying to take us down numerous one-way streets teh wrong way on the RBRR 06.

But I did succumb after getting tottally lost / trapped on the dutch night rally last year and having no-way of getting pasta blocked road.

I do still think there needs to be a button marked up "shut-up, I know where I'm going" on them.

:-)

Colin

thescrapman wrote:

But I did succumb after getting tottally lost / trapped on the dutch night rally last year and having no-way of getting pasta blocked road.

Pasta blocked  :) I seem to remember it was crumpled cars as opposed to a mountain of Italy's finest  ;)

R.

I have been using a sat nav now for about 5 years, originally because I was going to a different location every day and previously I had been printing maps from Route 66 for every day which was very laborious.

Over 42 years of driving I have built up a wide knowledge of routes to places where I don't need a map both here and in Europe but in the last 5 years I have hardly added to it because of Sat nav.

Conclusion, sat nav is great but no where near as rewarding as finding your way using a map and it makes you very lazy and should be banned for anybody under 50.

lordleonusa wrote:

Also, be aware that if you select 'take shortest route' instead of 'take quickest route', it may tell you to turn where there are NO roads.

One thing to watch with Uk TomTom's is that they will automatically choose the "safest" route, which is motorways, and can be quite difficult to convince otherwise.

I also think local councils are now influencing the route planning by feeding back incorrect speed limit information in order to make the SatNav's choose certain "Quickest" routes, taking traffic away from places they don't want it.

A couple of years ago the speed limit info in a TomTom was usually correct, it will now consistently report back a limit 20mph or 30mph lower that the actual limit.

Cheers

Colin

My Garmin Streetpilot is 3 years old, and therefore well out of date compared to present stuff.  However it does allow me to set up routes on a computer and then transfer them to the satnav, meaning that I can program-in whatever route I choose.  Although I'm a big fan of maps (being a former road-rally navigator) I've happily used my Garmin all over the UK, Europe, and USA.  Like everything else, it's just a tool to help enjoy motoring.

Archived