Sometimes I am glad that I had 20 or so years when I could drive without worrying about these things!

I think speed cameras are great in towns, but on trunk roads they are surely for one thing, revenue!

111miles at an average speed. Umm, reckon that will be difficult to achieve in an old car on empty roads!!!

The "good" thing is that the cameras will only be on single carriageway sections not the dual carriageways, so, a little sense has prevailed.

A lot of the problems are caused by HGV's trying to overtake on the dual carriageway sections, or elephant racing as we call it, then they complete their overtake just as you get back to single carriageway.

Oh, and by the way, the speed limit for HGV's on the A9 is 40mph!

Specs cameras on the only locations where you may end up trying to overtake a convoy of HGV's is a recipe for disaster.

The genius who thought this up, probably someone who cycles to work in Edinburgh to save the environment, should be made to stand on the white line on a single carriageway section of the A9 to experience the same excitement as the drivers who wonder if they'll safely pass the HGV or have 3 points on their licence by the time they reach Inverness.

Jim.

If Scotland votes for independance us Brit will be foreigners so technically we ought to get away without points, if I get done for speeding on the continent I'd get fined but wouldn't get points so it ought to be the same if I got done in an independant Scotland.

bet that won't be the case though!

cook1e wrote:
... if I get done for speeding on the continent I'd get fined but wouldn't get points...

Not so in Germany. They have a central system that stores points for Johnny Foreigners.
So when you have collected enough points you're temporarily banned from driving in Germany ...
Here in the NL we only have a points system for young drivers  :X

They are average speed cameras so a short burst of speed to overtake a lorry should be capable of being compensated for.

You could slow down to 30 immediately after overtaking then every body else can overtake within the limit.

Considering the ingenuity of contributors to this forum you must be able to think up ways of coping with the lorries without exceeding an average of 40 mph but no James Bond number plates.

Yeah, speed up to overtake the lorries, usually in a 40mph Tesco convoy doing closer to 56mph, then slow down to compensate and bunch everyone up behind you.

It's a wonderful farce to make politicians look like their doing something positive while everyone else is placed in greater danger.

Still, brings in more money to the government coffers, so that can't be a bad thing?

Jim.

from - http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/perth-kinross/opponents-claim-a9-average-speed-cameras-are-being-railroaded-through-1.296524

Quote:
A spokesman said: “The A9 Safety Group firmly believes that average speed cameras will save lives on the A9. We have committed to having the system installed by October and we have to start work now to meet that deadline.

I wonder why they chose that deadline??

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

We drove through part of this on our way to Fort William the other weekend. Our sat nav tells us what our average speed was though this zone which means you can confidently overtake and then reduce speed sufficiently.

Good bit of kit the Tom Tom but the Cameras are totally not needed. Also the Cameras are still recording on the dual carrigeway parts it just changes to 70mph which the tomtom calculates.  :)

Chris.