Well, not exactly a RBRR "Ace" or veteran (first Run was last years) but here is how we did it:

Car (Spitfire 1500, O/Drive)  - Had a week off to go right thru the car, sorting out all the overdue jobs.  Gave the car a full service, replaced all the usual stuff.  Cleaned the car top-to-bottum and mage sure that every nut-and-bolt was tight and secure. Checked nothing was obviously loose or knackered! Re-fitted the hardtop (much easier to sleep if you're warm and not in a draft!) and made sure the glass was crytal clear.  Took a load of spares on "Sale or Return" from Jigsaw Racing, thank fully didn't have use anything - so gave it all back with no charge.  Also found it best to write down simplified route instructions at each stage - much easier to read during the night stages.  Oh, and make sure you've got a good interior light so you can read in the dark!

Us (the "crew") - made sure we'd a goodnights sleep, stuck a change of clothes in case anything went pear shaped and loaded up with Ginsters pasties, cans of coke, red bull, Lucazade and water.  Also took a bag to put all the crap in - again, much nicer if the car is clean and tidy inside.  Also took some Halfords airfreshner!  Just in case it got "smelly" inside the car!  We found that the best way to split the driving was to drive in 4hr shifts.  This gave the non-driver a proper rest and quality sleep!  In fact we think we slept longer over the weekend than we normally would of!  Driving for an hour on, hour off, is no good - you'll never rest properly...

All just common sense really.  We really enjoyed RBRR and can't wait to do it again. 

Steve Waddingham, Car 35, RBRR 2002  8)

I've done the RBRR three times and the 10CR 2 weeks ago, anyrate here are my thoughts on preparatory work:
Prep. has been the same each time:
Engine: Check valve clearances (Not so easy on OHC engines), tune up of carbs and ignition. Run thro' of all hoses, cables, leads etc., to check for probs. Full fluid check, full clean down of engine to see if any leaks can be observed. Exhaust system checked over for loose clamps etc.
Driveline and suspension: Gearbox and diff levels checked. Full inspection of rear suspension using a stout lever to check UJs etc. Oil Front trunnions, check steering rack clamps and UJ on column. Check tyres and do pressures.
Bodywork: Good clean, inspect all lights.
Interior: Good clean out, loose all rubbish. Clean all glass.

The main prob with using a GT6 is that all tools, luggage and spare parts must be taken in the interior as no boot present. We therfore store all tools in a plastic tool box or a tool roll behind the drivers seat in a plastic crate. All spare parts are put in a plastic box that has a clamp and put on the luggage area behind this crate. Soft holdalls are used  to carry a change of clothing + basic toileteries. We keep the area behind the passenger seat empty so that the seat can be reclined for sleeping. We take a sleeping bag + pillow for this purpose. It is possible to get a good kip as the seat goes nearly horizontal. Small items are stored under the front of each seat.
Spare parts:
Spark plugs, exhaust clamps, ignition parts, cable ties, bungees,steel wire, jubilee and fuelpipe clips, split pins, spare hoses and fuel line
Fluids: Gear oil, 3 in 1,brake fluid,spray grease, radiator coolant additive etc. Don,t take engine oil as I reason this can be purchased when buying fuel.
Prob. the most useful item fitted to the car is a good quality flexible map light that has been fitted under the parcel shelf (These are available from Holden's). Also I fitted a cigar lighter socket which is useful for keeping the mobile phone charged up or for use with a inspection light.  Other essentials are those spring pencil clips + a couple of pens(Saves looking for pens that have rolled around in car) and a clip board. We always superimpose the route onto a large scale ring bound map.I also keep a screwdriver with interchangeable bits + a pair of cutters and a pair of pliers in the shelf under the dash. Other essentials are a roll of kitchen roll + screen wipes and a roll of polythene for if we have to get under the car. . I always give the windows a good application of rain X.
As everything is loose alot of time is spent ensuring that stuff can't roll around or worse still become a missile if we had a prang. The other prob. is reflections on the rear window.

It must be nice too do the RBRR in a car with a seperate boot!

Cheers,
Tim B

PS How about an award to the car that has been best prepared (not necessarily the best condition) for the next RBRR?

Another handy item:- Evian do a aerosol spray (of water) which is good stuff to spray over your face if your struggling to stay awake.  I found it's also useful for waking-up your co-driver when he won't budge from the passenger seat!!  I also fitted a Fire Extinguisher (just in case!), but I found it was bit extreme to wake Will up with!!!

Like Tims idea for "Best Prep" award...

Wadders - Car 35, RBRR 2002 (Team: "Will and Wadders") ;D

• 2 years later...

well my most preparation is getting my car running and MOT'd! engine has been out for about 4 weeks due to a rusty bolt on the back place which had jammed the fly wheel. but while it was it, it was suggested that we change everything inside. the enging was put back in last week and now everything else has been attached but its now a case of getting the thing started. and then i need to get it MOT'd :s

Try going without caffeine for two weeks before event.
It's enough time to get used to it, and coffee etc taken
during the run really does what it says on the tin.
Agree baby wipes are ace.  Chewable toothbrushes
are good too, available in pub slot machines round our way.
DO NOT  chew the ribbed ones.

It's a bloody good way of learning to drive too!

I remember passing my test in December and being taken out the next day to try the motorway for the first time ... and we had to battle through proper 'northern' snow drifts to get to the motorway where we only had a couple of lanes due to the snow. I spent that Christmas learning how a 1.0 litre Pug 205 handled the snow with 6 people in it - great fun, and to this day I'm a confident bad weather driver.

Fresh meat for the grinder!
It's great, really important that fresh blood comes in to the the club and brings new enthusiasm - my own daughter is already talking about her first car and that should be a Herald Coupe - OK so she wants me to paint it pink and pimp it out a bit but I can live with that. I'm not yet on the look out for a bargain Coupe - she hasn't turned 15 yet!

I have always said every car club needs new youg blood.  That is the only way the hobby will survive.  Nice to see some youg novice driver's in the RUN so I wount feel so bad.  After all I'm still a novice driving overtheir.  Maby I should have a "L" on the car I'm in.  Jason their is still time to buy my old truck for Zoe.  You know you want it!

The list of things to take is useful for me, being a RBRR virgin!

I can remember reading somewhere that a Petrol can is a useful thing to take if you are driving a Spitfire (like me) which has a small tank.

How frequent are the petrol stations on the route during the night, especially in the more remote parts of the country. Is it worth taking a petrol can?

Cheers,
Paul
Car No.: 105

Archived