Some entrants have mislaid a copy of the 'Advice Notes' that we publish for the event. Here you go:

These were drawn up some years ago, by some experienced RBRR crews, they offer some very good and sensible advice.

It still amazes me that some crews arrive at the start after doing a days work or go to work on the sunday following the event-bonkers!

Prepare properly and the event is alot easier!

If you need the Red Bull you're doing it wrong.

I get quite easily tired but don't have an issue (not yet anyway)

Besides, caffeine is actually pretty bad for you in a lot of ways - especially at keeping you awake and able to drive. Just look at the studies on it - bad bad bad. Maybe just once for a slight kick but if that's any time before Sunday it's going to destroy you.

Once you start on the Red Bull or coffee you are just exacerbating the issue - the come down will hit you much harder than without it. You're on a vicious circle of not being able to sleep because you're so wired, but needing sleep because caffeine has kept you awake for too long and you've over stretched yourself.

When you're not driving and you're not navigating take a rest, close your eyes - get ear plugs and an eye mask (if that helps you - it does me because flashing lights going by doesn't help) - just zone out and relax.

If it gets really bad whilst driving then stop and take a 20-30 minute power nap.

First time you do the event is probably the worst as you don't know this and you have all the added excitement too.

I know in 2004 we made a complete mess of it and I was in a complete state - however I ended up doing 75% of the driving due to an ill co-driver.

http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2007/fear-loathing-bat-country-p1.php

Take no advice from this LOL LOL  - depths of a Red Bull binge is bad enough LOL LOL

Concur with Tim about sleep when possible - sensible place would be between Blyth and John O Groats but its such a cool drive and so hard to when on a bit of a buzz from the burn up the A1 and your not "that " tired

Stirling to Manchester on the M6 and Bristol to Bodmin on the M5/A30 are the BEST place to sleep - smooth and you can't really get lost.

GT6boy wrote:
Red bull: Satan's work. (naughty) I really struggle with sickly things and that is just dreadful. (puke)

Quite, it's horrible stuff.  A guy at work used to have a can of 'Relentless' every day until I pointed out that it's something like 60% sugar!  You don't really need calories if you're just sitting around for long periods of time!

Archived