Legal Requirements

Chriss

The News Letter and some of the tips has reminded me there is a whole liost of legal requirements different countries have.  If it is a requirement in any of the countries we pass through then we need to comply.  I have compiled a list below, but if anyone can add to it please do.

Headlamp converters / mods to stop blinding oncomming traffic

Warning Triangle

GB sticker

Fire extinguisher

First aid kit to DIN 13 164

Spare bulb set

V5 - Ownership documents

High vis wastecoat (advisable for each crew member)

Anyone any further knowledge please add.

These are the requirements from 10CR2003 most of it is still relevant.
http://users.pandora.be/themartins/TR8/legalrequirements.htm
The flourecent jackets are now required in France and you can be fined for breaking down and not wearing one

• 2 weeks later...

An Addition

Headlamp converters / mods to stop blinding oncomming traffic

Warning Triangle

GB sticker

Fire extinguisher

First aid kit to DIN 13 164

Spare bulb set

V5 - Ownership documents

High vis wastecoat (advisable for each crew member)

Vignette for Swiss motorways

All,
Jonathan Binnington and I will be in his SuperSix, which is screenless.    We intend to drive in fullface helmets, but another member (alright, it was James) thinks this is illegal in France.  Does anyone know if this this true?

If it is, I'll need a whole suitcase of tooth brushes!

John

Thanks for the lead, James, I'll try to follow it up.

Meanwhile, all you guys are laid back, 'done it before', know the ropes.  Me, I'm panicking, quite apaart form watching the Stelvio Pass videos. Jon is on hols, I'm trying to do the co-drivers bit, and scrabbling to catch up.  Could do with some advice.

Swiss motorway taxes.  The link in the newsletter gets a lovely Swiss tourist site with b*gg*r all about motorway taxes.  Any pointers here, please?

And food.  On the road that is. Do you guys just take lots of chocolate bars and a laxative later?  As far as I can tell, there ain't too much time for roadside stops to, er, reduce weight, let alone for a brewup.  Meals at campsites seem to be catered for, in that there is a restaurant booked for Friday and a BBQ on Sunday. so does anyone take cooking stoves etc?

And Jason's "Routex Atlas" suggestion - it seems to have fallen off the Internet.  Any ideas there?
Thanks frorm the newbie.

John

John,

I've not done the 10CR before - but I have done the RBRR.

First thing: RELAX! It's meant to be fun - and it will be. You will love it!

Swiss stickers - I believe you can buy them there (can someone back that up)

There will be time to stop and have a brew - I know several people are taking small stoves for this - I have seen the maps - there is enough time to eat and drink, but not quite a 3 course meal at a sit down restaurant - in the wise words of Raider - "no fannying about"! I wouldnt just eat chocolate - well I can't anyway - I need proper food to keep me going. One thing about the RBRR I would have done differently is to split the day up so that I had proper meals at the right time - my body got out of sync and I got tired towards the end. Rememebr that the route is only suggested - whilst you are meant to follow it there is no reason why you can't stop anywhere you like. You'll get in to a rhythm - if you are behind time then drive quicker (within reason - remember NFA!)

As for petrol stations - no use to those without it - but the latest TomTom GPS navigation software has petrol stations on it!

James

James,
Thanks.  Deep breath, 'Cool green grass', quick full lotus.  Ah, that's better.

I googled onto a Lotus 7 site & forum - lots of those guys go topless and screenless, in France too.  No mention of attention from les Plods.  I've mailed one of the main guys for their opinion, but it looks as if I can relax on that too.    They really like aeroscreens, wonder if Jon & I can cobble up an allrounder, like your Picton?

It's not my "Picton" Im afraid - I just get to use it sometimes - it stops the majority of flies from hitting you and stops air up to about 40mph - after that its goggles - but can you just put a normal screen frame on Jons?

Regards le Plod - I am sure I heard it somewhere - maybe it's illegal here?! I am so sure I heard it was illegal somewhere!

Ooookay,
Just found the correct website for buying Swiss motorway tax: https://www.swisstravelsystem.com/

Look for the "Vignette" box, type "1" and click. Pay.  Hope it finds me!
Apparently it's like the Road Fund Licence, but for Mways - so maybe sellable later?

John

John,

As Martin (Raider) has probably gone to bed I shall answer in his abscence.

1. Route: You will be given marked maps at the start and a route schedule- this route is suggested and is by no means compulsory- most crews will take this route, both schedule and maps have timings on them. If running late is is advisable to take faster roads if avaialable. Within the Final Instructions and at the drivers meeting just before the start it will be suggested that crews form groups of 3 cars as convoy driving is usually very slow. These groups also help crews like yours as it will enable you to have a car to follow, therefore enabling the passenger get some kip.

2. Switzerland: You can purchase a permit to use the Swiss road network on either the Swiss website or at the border as you pass through- I did this last time and had no problem. It consists of a self adhesive window sticker.

3. Food. The only food being provided is at Brugge, I was not aware that a restaurant was booked for Ventimiglia- if not happening we will have to sort ourselves out- Cooking using camping stoves etc.
I usually find that the adrenalin kicks in and I loose my appetite, however it will be easy to find snacks at Petrol Stations. Martin has suggested some rest areas, I think quite a few crews will be brewing up some tea at these places using their camping stoves etc.

The whole event is about getting a wriggle on and to use Martin's statement 'Not fannying about'. The more planing you do the better the event will be. My thought on these long distance events (RBRR and 10CR) are 'Just keep going'. Surprisingly this event is only 500 miles longer than the RBRR and is more social than that event as we will get to have proper kip. Still the route thro. the French Alps looks umm interesting!

One thing I would bring in your instance would be a water proof carrier for the maps- will you have anywhere that stuff will not get wet?
Last time Doug and Mary Crutchfield did the whole event with the roof down on their gorgeous TR2- they wore leather flying jackets and hats when it rained- no worries-of course they had a screen! Shame that they are not coming this time- on holiday.

BTW I have been reading EVO magazine and a letter from a reader recounting the lose of his 'Road Angel' in France when it was confiscated by the bizzies he also got fined 750 euros!

Look forward to seeing you at the start- good luck with your prep work.

Thnaks, guys,  panic over, the brown paper bag helped.

I've heard from Nick Addison on the Lotus 7 site.  He has driven thousands of miles through France in a Fullface (don't say that drunk), even encountering the police on two occasions for innocent purposes without comment from them.  So James, thanks for the heads-up, but false alarm I hope.

Tim, I am so wrong about the restaurant - I misread that we are due to meet for LUNCH on Saturday at a Diner in Lesa!

I think I'm getting the vibes for this event now - I was thinking WRC crossed with the old Monte, flat out through sun, snow and rain,  and have been traumatised by watching Gumball on M&M.    I take it this is NOT like that.  So thanks to the enormous preparation by the organisers, it looks like co-driver has little else to do but relax!

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz,
JOhn

Probably the best thing to do before the event is to relax and get plenty of kip- really difficult the night before- the anticipation is great.

I cannot wait to see all the cars at 'The Plough' all ready for the off. Last Oct. at the start of  the RBRR at 'The Plough' it was fantastic- 75 Triumphs and their owners all buzzing with anticipation.
One really good idea is to get to 'The Plough' sign in, have a light lunch and then get half an hours kip. The pub opens at 11.00- two and a half hours till start, reasonable amount of time that will go very quickly.

Just read in the letters page of the Sunday Times "Driving" that not only is the use of radar detectors illegal but so id just their possession! :o

Apparently the gendarmes spotted the suction cups on his car's windscreen, pulled him over, searched the car and then fined him £500 and confiscated his kit - despite it being packed away and not in use :o

Just ordered a haynes publication on driving abroad from their website using the Club's discount so I should be more clued up soon

Raider,
An International Driving Licence is an alternative:

Quote:
The new card version or pink paper version of the UK driving license are valid to drive in Italy. The old UK driving license (entirely green in colour) is no longer valid for travel within Italy. It was replaced by the European license (green and pink in colour) in 1991-1992, thereby rendering the national license invalid. It is now illegal to drive with a UK license in Italy whether accompanied by a translation or otherwise. If you still hold the older license, please be sure to either obtain an updated version from the D.V.L.A. or alternatively you can obtain an International license valid for one year from the A.A. Unquote.
(Italian State Tourist Office Website - http://www.italiantouristboard.co.uk/by-road.html )

The AA can supply an IDP by post, or you can buy one at their Dover Office.  See: http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/motidp004.html

I don't know which will be quicker - perhaps both to be sure, as the AA will accept a photocopy of your old style licence.

John

Hi I have just called the AA regarding the IDP for Italy.
As I was about to apply for a IDP.
They stated that the old style green licence is Legal
I think they are referring to using a licence to hire a car. When the old green is accepted but having an IDP or newer Licence is preferred.

Nigel,
I have no special knowledge, but note that the above quote is lifted straight from the Italian State Tourist Offcie website.    But what do they know either?

You can also get an IDP from the RAC, and as I'm a member it's cheaper than the AA.  About £5 + £4 for special delivery.  What's the risk worth?

John

I doubt very much that you'll get the opportunity to produce your documents.
Unless of course you get involved in an accident after quaffing back plenty of vino, which i hope everyone taking part will avoid doing. Tempting thought it can be.

In my experience of driving abroad, flashing your english passport book in the face of the local plodi and taking loudly in english, explaining where your going to, is often quite enough to get you by the border guards. Although saying that, the Italian machine gun toting guards certainly give me the willies...............and DONT mention the war!!!!!!!!!

Dean.

Is it true that Italian motorway cops are more likely to encourage the driver of a desirable sports car to exceed the limit than to flag them down?  Stories of lambos etc being waved on with cries of , "Avanti!".  Or is it just a ploy to entrap them into paying larger fines?
John

Archived