Legal Requirements

Chriss

I agree with you on that one, John.
In fact the Italians are mad for any cars that are interesting- last time I was in my GT6 , with Doug and Mary Crutchfield following in their lovely TR2 and the Italians were going totally mad- superb!!! A real highlight-continental driving- very nice!

All,
IDP arrived today.  What an impressive document! Should make the stroppiest carabinieri think twice.

Discreet dark beige cover, headed "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" and bearing the Seal of the Secretary of State for Transport (that's John Prescott, but never mind!) this out passports a passport.  Pages in nine languages show what classes of vehicle I am allowed to drive (anything, it would seem except a motorbicycle, even an artic).  I shall be proud to bear this document, and wave it in the face of  foreigners as proof of my Britishness.  They shall quail before my IDP!

Except it also bears my photograph, looking as Noel Coward said, "like a heavily doped Chinese illusionist".

John

Hi All

If in doubt whether your dirving licence is legal, the quick way to get an IDP is to phone the AA on 0870 600 0371 during normal(ish) office hours and find the nearest Post Office to you where they issue IDPs.  Go to the PO with passport, driving licence, pasport sized photo and £5.50.  They will issue one while you wait.

Chris

WooHoo - my photolicence just arrived in the post ;)

This is tremendous service from the Post office and the DVLA.

I went into the post office in Nelson, Lancashire first thing Monday morning this week, got the application in and now have my licence within the week.

I wouldn't advise trying it now tho :o

Archived