Chriss

Just realised - Chris is in a soft top so makes sense to wear helmets ;)

I am fine with driving a car with a proper roof (no insult intended) without helmets - I have done it before and didn't feel vulnerable.

I did drive sensibly tho (read slow) - real life is different to a playstation game

As far as I know helmets are not required.
Remember that although the Ring is a private road the normal legislation applies as if it were a public road. This means that it is not allowed to drive faster than 100 KMH. You have to overtake on the left and if fitted seatbelts have to be worn. It is also a clearway so no parking/stopping!

Unfortunately everybody seems to forget this when they get going.

Cheers
AndyF
P.S. I have never seen a policecar doing a speed control either! but remember this ...

Always thought it was a public toll road without speedlimits, except for a couple of places (like Breidscheid)
l
Got this from http://www.nurburgring.org/index.html

During public sessions, its legal status is that of a one-way public toll-road with no speed limit (except on the approach to the two exits). Vehicles must be 100% road-legal (including tyres), and normal German road traffic law applies. Road insurance is also required - see my insurance page for a detailed discussion of this.

It's well worth reading this site, as the guy is a die hard Ringer!!!

100kph???  Surely not!
If  la Clarkson can aim for a 10 minute lap, that's over 80mph (130kph) AVERAGE.
And anything la Clarkson can do (in a diesel jag) .........

Helmets will not be a problem for Jonathan and me.  If anyone will want to borrow mine, you are welcome, but after over 72 hours of continuous wear, you may not feel very welcome inside it.

John

Archived