Progress on entrants cars

Raider

There's actually only 6 months to go and that will pass quickly :o

So how about updates on the cars?

For my part, car1, the famous BRP has had all new springs and shock absorbers fitted to the rear.

The front has new inserts, new springs, an anti-dive kit etc etc. Actually, I am about to replace the springs again as I feel the front is now too low. This time I am using Triumphtune rally spec springs so we'll see what effect they have.

I have also ordered BMW E30 325i vented discs along with Volvo 4 pot calipers and pads to uprate the brakes. I hope I can make all that work ;)

So, in summary - the car at this moment needs the front springs changing, a complete brake overhaul, servicing and then 6 months tax to go back on the road ::)

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Car 5's getting along nicely. Main job left is getting the bonnet repainted. Other than that, there's only little jobs left, like fitting the rev counter and passenger seat...

Just in case you're not all sick of seeing my car yet:

[img width=480 height=640]http://www.chris-gray.co.uk/Graphics/Spitfire/19032005_003.jpg[/img]

Should be back on the road in a couple of weeks (would be sooner, but I'm going back 'daan saaf' for Easter).

Don...
had ur GT6 any unexpected mechanical / electrical problems on the last drive.  i know u turned up at last minute on ur own.  had u done the RBRR before.  i have never don a drive like this and want to have the car in top knick.  any advice is greatly welcomed.
MaGlocks

Well, Tomboy, for that is how she is called, ran faultlessly...apart from a wiper motor that packed up in the rain (funny that) and a gearbox that started to lose its synchromesh on 2nd and 3rd. Other than that she's a game old thing. I haven't done the RBRR but Tomboy and I have been around Europe a few times before that. I did have some problems but nothing that couldn't be fixed 'en route'. Have a good look at your cooling system though.

The thing is with preparing a car for long distance, don't tell it, let it think its just going up the shops. It might wonder why its being loaded up with 20 or so rotor arms and a spare water pump (must chuck in a head gasket though!) but what the hey, let it find out! I will be taking some spare fuel this time though: three cans I think!

If you have anything that worries you then try to sort it out before you leave. My drive shafts were rattling away at Classic Le Mans last summer but I nursed it all over the Alps and into Germany to get home (note to self...must do them).

Also don't worry if you get separated you are bound to meet up with someone...often in the opposite direction. This one thing is guaranteed: you'll remember it for the rest of your life!

• 2 weeks later...

well, Teresa the TR4 has been converted to unleaded, been completely stripped and repainted (more details on that later) and now I just have to try and work out those electrical and over heating problems that plagued my on the RBRR last year and she'll be ready to go.

As to Vicky the Vitesse she has had a bit of paint thrown at her too along with some new lightened bits on her engine  ;D

this year should fun, a bit more sedate without the stress of the RBRR (I Hope)  ;D

List of things to do at the moment is looking like this,
new springs and shocks all round on my spitfire, I'm getting annoyed by peoples comments about the angle of the car, and with me having to reply thats it's set up for oval tracks.
New gaskets for the sump and petrol pump, try and keep some of the oil in the engine rather than on the road or driveway.
fit cigarrete lighter sockets to provide power for map reading lights etc.
fit 10 disc cd multichanger in the boot, should provide about 13 hours of music for the run.

Not much to do really, just need to get some money together to buy all the springs and shocks, and then work out which ones to get, gaz, spax, koni's

Charlie
1500 spitfire

• 2 weeks later...

Car no 21 keeps on running and running........ Almost boring how reliable this thing is!

Meanwhile the compomotives made place for the good old Revolution wheels with michelin tyres..  All this because we want to save the tyres on the other wheels for the 10CR, as they are very fine Yokohama's A032's  ;D

• 2 weeks later...

BIG DAY TODAY!

A nice new M.O.T. Certificate to add to my collection stretching all the way back to 1971.

Just some bits and pieces to tidy up,but we can't wait to be off on the 10 CR. Just hoping she keeps behaving herself. Really looking forward to seeing our wonderful array of Triumphs at the various venues on the trip. I remember the excitment at the start of last years RBRR.,    and I was only a spectator!

Good luck to everyone in their preparation,

I remember sitting outside (or was it on a balcony) a cafe having lunch with Dean Martin overlooking a twisty part of a town nestled in the Alps and watching some Triumphs passing by below - and thinking all's well with the world!

I enjoyed that meal. It was on the terrace of a cafe in Corps along the Route Napoléon.I  passed it only last month on my skiing holiday. I looked, but there were no triumphs parked outside this time.
Doesn't time fly!

Dean.

The Grey car is coming along well, that is apart from some major grief with the 6>3>1 manifold.

However have ordered a Tacho. from Demon Tweeks- a Eclipse electronic rev. counter the same as I have fitted to the GT6, but with chrome ring. I have also had to purchase some suppliementary gauges to add to the fuel gauge and Oil Pressure gauge I got at Stoneleigh, the new ones being mechanical Water Temp, mechanical Oil Temp and a Ammeter. Not alot of space, but I will mount them down in the panel behind the gear lever, where the radio currently sits. The Tacho will go into the instrument cluster.

Only other job will be to add a Oil Cooler.
On the reliability front, the car does not seem to miss a beat (hopefully not tempting fate here) on the recent 20CC she seemed so strong. Still mightily impressed with these big saloons.

I am collecting the last bits and pieces for the brake upgrade which I hope to fit next weekend ;)

Then I just hope BRP pases it's MOT in June, gets through the Autotest tomorrow, the lCC and the Devil's Own rally without any major attention being needed.

Archived