Progress on entrants cars

Raider

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Already changed oil & filter (duckhams Q 20/50). Feels better and far less leakage.

2. Checked the new clutch slave cylinder for weeping; it is fine (as I knew because fluid level in master cyl. has remained stable for weeks) - topped up gearbox oil and finally now put the gearbox cover back.

3. Five new decent tyres,on newly painted wheels.

4. Temp,oil pressure, and voltmeter guages installed and working.

5. fuel guage. Clint from Gatwick did all the wiring behind the dash but the replacement sender  seemed to be faulty. I bought and installed a new one, adjusting it so as to get a correct reading.
(I subsequently realised that I had installed the previous one up-side-down, although I double checked it when I put it in) Anyway I know my fuel level for the first time since owning the car.

Still bits to do, but I can't wait for the off!  Good luck everyone in their prep.

Took my Spit down to Tim yesterday for him to give the engine it's first oil change and checkover since the rebuild. He was perfectly happy with how the engine's going, so I'm now officially allowed to give it some stick. ;D
He recommended I should still keep the revs below 4500-ish rpm, but since I'm doing 80 before I even reach 3500 rpm, that's more than enough to scare myself.

Not much else to report. Still waiting for my replacement wingmirrors from Canleys, but that's about it.

There has been a worrying "clonk" now and again with the wipers so, bearing in mind the 10CR which will be very soon upon us I decided to have a look this evening.

I removed the motor and rack, opened up the motor casing to dis-engage the rack then lubricated it all with grease before struggling to get it all back in.

Now tho the damned things are on all the time as soon as the ignition is on >:(

I have had enough for tonight so I have disconnected the battery and left it - any ideas anyone? ??)

Not sure if I should post this under the title progress, but after finding it impossible to get into 3rd gear the other day I thought i'd take the gearbox out, and so far its sitting waiting for me to find out what the problem was, i might even do a general overhaul while i'm at it.

Oh the joys of taking a gearbox out for the first time.

Charlie

Well there's got to be a reason all the chinese take aways  use them, it means i can also put the lid on and label where the bits came from, it helps at the end of the job when you try and put the thing back and end up with loads of bolts all different sizes, and unable to remember where they go.

Charlie

Right gearbox is in pieces and it's the circlip holding the third gear in place that had broken into three pieces, so i've got a new one of those and will be putting the gearbox back into the car hopefully this wekend.

On a more fun side I also picked up uprated spings and gaz shocks all round as well yesterday and am hopefully putting that lot in as well this weekend. I think i'll need it looking at the pictures of the stelvios pass, and obviously the nurbergring, should give me a bit more grip round the old corners.

Does anybody know what initial settings the Gaz shocks should be set to as I think they have something like 32 possible settings?

Charlie

[quote by=Jason link=Blah.pl?b=10CR,m=1111309471,s=62 date=1121191096]What state is it in Dean??[/quote]

Its not pulling oil up at the moment, and even when it did there was a misfire that was giving me problems.

It'll be 'Plan B', me thinks.

Dean.

[quote by=timbancroft61 link=Blah.pl?b=10CR,m=1111309471,s=67 date=1121462887]What's plan 'B' then?[/quote]

I'm waiting for a reply from AJP to be his third driver.
My entry just isn't going to happen this time (again).

Dean.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the gear box into the car and working the other day after a lot of effort involving rebuilding the clutch master and slave cylinders.

Still got to fit the cigarette lighters, should really have done that probably while the gearbox was out and the access was good, but i missed having the car to drive and didn't want to waste my time on them.

Suspension still waiting to be fitted, need to wait for a dry weekend, which isn't looking likely for a while, but i'll get it done sometime soon.

Other things i need to do involve getting the spares and tools together, and some general preperation, and if i'm feeling rich new brake pads.

I think its just over 40 days to go, and i'm getting quite excited by it all now.

Charlie

Charlie,

Its weird, the next 40 or odd days will fly by and we will all be in the car park at The Plough- many after working extremely hard getting their car ready. Before the last 10CR I took my gearbox in and out of my GT6 3 times, and only managed to be ready the Wednesday night before the start- which was on a Friday.

Good luck with all your work.

Charlie,

Its weird, the next 40 or odd days will fly by and we will all be in the car park at The Plough- many after working extremely hard getting their car ready. Before the last 10CR I took my gearbox in and out of my GT6 3 times, and only managed to be ready the Wednesday night before the start- which was on a Friday.

Good luck with all your work.

I forgot all about this thread since I entered!

Things I have done: Installed _one_ AVO on the drivers side - will do the other one tomorrow.

Things I have to do: Build up my new engine, set it up and run it in. Buy the last few bits for the GT6 front suspension/brakes upgrade and install. Install my Fiaam-alike air horns.

REALLY excited about it now...

I was thinking of getting some air horns fitted, ever since I went with my friend on the mini london to brighton run, and hearing the dukes of hazard theme tunes in a long line of mini's, but i might go for the cavalry charge one, oh the choices http://www.top-gear.net/products.asp?u=63184N26957.0694749951&deptid=148

lots of fun to be had, and with so much more space under the spitfire bonnet compared to a mini's

Charlie

Archived