Progress on entrants cars

Raider

Well more things did crop up, the rear carb started leaking from the pipe between the float chamber and the jet, so i put a new one of those in, and there was an intermittant misfire above 3000 revs, which hopefully was the vacuum advance pipe being loose on the dizzy.

Things to do now also include replacing some of the heater hoses as they are in a very poor condition, and it was while i was playing around with the carb that i noticed that one of the hoses was ballooning above the jubilee clip.

So 19 days to go, and much still to sort out, and my co-driver still hasn't sat in the drivers seat yet.

Charlie

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have just come in from the workshop after an afternoons proper graft. Thought I would sort another block so that our machine shop guy could collect Monday. The original block in our Vitesse (as fitted by John Wooley) was well and truelly tatered on the cam journals, in particular number one, this being the one you should leave steel when line boring and shelling, so in the bin it went. The second MK1 engine I pulled out of the pile and stripped was thrusted, even down to the crank having gone past the cap and starting to make a new home in the block, number two block in the bin. Number three was all but completely stripped when I noticed a tell tale rust stain about 4 inches long between the head face and core plugs under the manifolds towards the front of the block. Bugger, common place for the block to crack usullay down to frost damage, number three in the bin. Number four was given a good exterior examination this time before I commenced stripping. This one had pistons stuck in the bores so badly due to corrosion that I had to get the oxy-acetelene bottles out and melt the pistons before they would shift. No further damage was done so I steam cleaned the bare block, dried it off, and tapped out all the threads, ready for Monday. Dosn't matter that the bores were so rusty  as its going to +60, so there's a lot of metal to come out.
If everything is going to be as difficult as this in our preperation for the 10 Countries then I wish I had given myself a little more time, oh hum!

Good on you Dave!

Just done a Staines to St. Ives to Staines via Polzeath (About 600 miles- did involve a nights (Kennel)camping and a curry and loads of beer) proving run in the 2.5 and got a new list of jobs!
1. New exhaust/Inlet manifold gasket needed- bugger! Have purchased a PRI thick jobbie, this will be bolted up using Cap bolts as recommended by Dale Barker at Mooordale- ta Dale.
2. Driveshafts will need new UJs
3. Over-ride switch for electric fan
4. Car needs a good tune up.
5. Fit spots.

Thats it. Now that i have a working rev counter I seee that at 81mph on my road angel the car is running at 3,000 rpm- 27mph/1000 rpm!!!! Superb- however in o'd top she runs out of puff on the hills- bang her down into 4th- no worries. Does the ton with ease, at 5,000 rpm the car howls- I love six cyl. engines!
On my run I took in some of the RBRR roads- how much fun can you have!

10CR- 19 days!

Back on the road proper last night. My proving run is every day from where I live to Cambridge: 80 miles each way! car's sitting out in the rain at the moment.

Had to ditch the distributor (Aldon Ignition) as wouldn't rev past 3500 and fitted another one with points, now buzzing wonderfully. So I reckon the bob weights or the sliding thingys are not doing their job. Bit of an oil leak from the gear box but that will have to wait now.

We're ready!

A SHED IS BORN! a red shed at that !!!after juggling a hetic work and family life I have managed to get the Red shed-a 1966 MK1 2000 that had been sitting for two years with various MK2 bits hanging out of it to drive stop and steer under its own power at about 7pm tonight! work done has involved-
Replacing rotted out bulkhead
Replacing all brake pipes
Rebuliding/Repairing a damaged strut and turret
replacing wheel bearings discs and calipers
Bolting/enging/gearboxs back in correctly
Fitting complete exhaust
rebuliding rear brakes
Fitting interior and MK2 pedal box
Alternator conversion
Fitting of re-con rad and pacet fan,with controller

All this with work and family life going on I am knackered! all I have to do now is get the other car ready! Oh and MOT the shed and change its water pump which leaked as we fired her up,not a problem I normally do them in car parks in Nice!

Well I ahve been to the West lancs meeting tonight in my TR7.

It must be 25 miles each way.

Have you ever noticed that cars sometimes seem a bit "off it" and then next time you get in they run really well ??)

That's what happened with the TR tonight. On the way it seemed a bit down on power and a little hesitant - coming back it was much more responsive and went very very well.

Strange things cars

Oh, and that's another thing :(

On the way back I was following a Golf GTI - it was going just that bit too fast for me to overtake but just that bit too slow so it annoyed me.

Then when we get to the twisty lanes near me it holds me up >:(  Yet again, someone who can only drive fast in a straight line ::)

I even pulled over, gave him/her a minute or so and then set off again so that I could enjoy the drive - my do the Cibies light up the road ;) then, damn me but I catch them up again :(

Yes it was dry on the way and wet on the way back ;)

Of course, a big thing is that I am hardly using the car at the moment as I am saving it for the 10CR - hence it would have loosened up by the time I had got to the meet.

Of course what it really needs is a 2300 mile run to get it on song :D

Archived