Progress on entrants cars

Raider

I made the classic mistake of taking an old car for granted, and will do if I use the GT6- however she is fairly dependable! Its a downer as the 2.5s MOT runs out on the 11th! Stiil fairly hopeful that Dale will work wonders for me.

Good news is that Ellis' Red Bus has passed its MOT- good stuff!

I hope to be arriving in Ventimiglia in exactly two weeks time.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just seen that Fred Szlezak and Dave Picton are in the other "green car" (my kids have already staked a claim to that moniker)

looks like the Big little cars are out to see who can complte in the greatest style, 2.5PI vs. V8 spitfires

Fred, don't forget your earplugs or you will need my professional servives by the finish (deaf aid mechanic)

binman

Just fiddling about with the car now.

I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to put some fresh brake fluid through the system and especially the front calipers now they have been on a while.

So, off with the wheels, connect up the Easybleed and put 1/2 litre of fresh brake fluid through them.

Whilst at it I noticed the off side wheel bearing had a bit of play in it so I tightened that up too.

Then a quick test drive and there is now a firmer brake padal so there was probably some air in the front calipers.

After that I put the tent in the boot, along with a sleeping bag and the camping gear - not much room left :o

Bugger ... I wish I was coming :-(
Still I am getting decent runs in the Tango mobile at the moment.

News on the worksalike however, is that she now purs on V8 EFI !!!
(I've no doubt andy will filll you in on the 'interesting' problems encountered on the way.)
So 2 years and 3 engines on, will it make it all the way round?

Enjoy the prep. work guys.

Encountering loads of probs.

On the way to Dale's yesterday morning, the alternator started to show negative charging. Soundsl ike she needs a re-build- of ocurse being a 2.5Pi mk1 its a 15AC type- very rare.

Took the rocker cover of today for the first time on this car- my god- reckon the car was stored for a long time- horrid congealed oil - took rocker gear off and cleaned- but never seen anything like it- worried that I will dislodge some particles and block oilway. Head was not down properly either- on at about 50lb/ft. What a mess- think I may put on the head I bought of AJP last year.

Even the plugs were in too tight- still not a bad consistent colour.
Still got to look at the throttle linkeage- ever since putting on the Phoenix exhaust, the likeage stiffens up when warm- might make a heat shield.

Do not seem to be getting any nearer being ready-must record my thanks to Dale and Bruce at Moordale Motors for fitting me into their busy schedule. Dale is busy getting his and AJPs entry ready!

well brief update on how things are going, heater hoses have now been changed, tried changing the fuel pump and found out the spare one i had needed a 13mm spacer, so will go and get a new pump probably on tuesday. My windscreen wipers are now two speed, instead of the single speed, and stopped that i had before, found out it was a dirty contact, so a  nice cheap fix for once.

So things left to do, hopefully are just fixing the fuel pump, and putting in the driving lights, then getting the spares and tools packed in the boot.

Unfortunately though my co-driver has now driven the car, and now insists on driving it on every occasion that he can.

Charlie

Just been out doing more silly little things, getting the driving lamps ready to fix on next weekend, checking all the hoses etc.

Cleaned all the contacts on the alternator to no avail, so going over to see AJP this afternoon to get his advice on fitting the Nippon Denso lightweight alternator I have- concerned as this alt. gives out 40 amps and worried about the feed wiring being able to take the ampage.

Other jobs to do are to check wheel bearings, still to fit carb linkeage heat shield, fit drivers parcel shelf- the list does not seem to be getting any smaller!

Must say that prepping the GT6 is alot easier- know the car so well that i am on top of everything- have been a bit complacent with the 2.5!

Tim - wouldnt worry - you can always put in an extra feed wire in. Or replace it all together so it goes directly to the battery with some thicker cable...

The wiring on my Spit takes the 70amps easy (remembering that it doesnt put out 70amps unless needed!)

My car failed it's MOT the other day as well: number plate bulb, new wipers not clearing screen and hazards not working. All rectified now and been zapping around...err...on the way to and from the MOT station of course. Moved my dooor mirrors so you can actually see with them now (four little holes to fill!). Cor, car is in tip top condition....can we all now, in unison, touch wood!

[quote by=timbancroft61 link=Blah.pl?b=10CR,m=1111309471,s=180 date=1125318614]
Tell you what, wish i was co-driver- you just wait to be picked up and go![/quote]

Yes i see what you mean but my wifes going to keep me busy (no only diy, gardening, cleaning etc.) until the very last minute.

How are you getting on with the insurance Tim?
Are there things that i can supply? Extra fuel can, cigar adapter 1->2  other????
Dean.

[quote by=timbancroft61 link=Blah.pl?b=10CR,m=1111309471,s=170 date=1125079504]Good news is that Ellis' Red Bus has passed its MOT- good stuff![/quote]

Woohoo !!!

As Tim said, a HUGE weight off my shoulders as the car went through. Still have a few things to do, refurb front callipers as one is lazy, finish fitting the new seats and seat belts, fit the oil cooler etc, but at least the biggest worry is out of the way.  ;)

Just been speaking to Andy Pearce, he is without doubt having real fun and games with his two car entry:

The Red Shed: needs a gearbox change- to be done tomorrow
The Cairo Taxi: Head gasket just gone on the North Circular; Head change to be done on Monday!

My 2.5 is ready to be re-tested on Monday- jsut left to bolt the spots on.

I love these Club Triumph runs, however I wonder why things always go like this. Lst time i had my gearbox out of the GT6 3 times in the week leading up to the 10CR- a real nightmare! Still very quick at taking them out and putting them back in!

Yes it all runs so much more smoothly if you don't run one of those unreliable/Marina/bitsa/BL not really a TR/Triumph TR7 things.

What's that? Engine changes in GT6s (surely not with the super straight 6 engine). gearbox changes in a GT6 - no way. after all it's not a Marina gearbox!

Blown head gaskets in a 2000/2500 - unheard of, not like the regualrly overheating and warped heads of TR7s. Mind you I must have imagined the blown head gasket on a 2000 last time and what's this? another head gasket blown on a straight 6?

Oh - and a gearbox change needed, much stronger gearboxes you know than a "Marina gearbox"

All of the above must be a myth of course :P

I know I am going to pay for this , probably stranded in Austria again ::)

Still, worth putting over that all of our cars have "issues" to use a modern term for problems.

Good luck everyone in their car prep - no matter what model you have entered ;)

Update on team 38.
I`ve  just got back from Canley Classics and it`s looking good. I`ve been giving Dave a hand with the final bits like sills and valances. just the engine, gearbox, dashboard, wiring loom, windscreen, exhaust, lighting, new tyres and an m.o.t to do. See you at the plough on thursday  ::)

Archived