Progress on entrants cars

Raider

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am used to it!

My first Spitfire: reversed in to by an NTL van, later on written off by some idiot driving in to the back of it.

This Spitfire: keyed down front left wing by some yobbo, bashed in to the back of by a lorry last Feb and now driven in to by a Volvo.

Spent three hours today fitting a spare centre control panel with anextra power putlet and the electrical cut out switch needed for rallying (not wired up yet though),

As you can see I still have the 10CR and long distance road trips in mind so there's still the stereo and one of the power outlets is for the CD player.

The other one? see the next post down

All the best prepared cars should have a cool box as a centre armrest ;)

This will have bacon and milk in it for breakfast in Ventimiglia and a nice cup of tea :)

It will also have cool drinks too for those long hot days in the car ;)

Well fitted new front suspension today, lowered and stiffened springs and gaz shocks, and the bonnet has gone down by about 2", and on my little test driving was bottoming out over every road hump, unless i went over at snails pace, which isn't a good thing living in london, so I'll be getting some spring spacers to increase the ride height.

I'm not sure exactly which ones to go for yet, at the moment i'm leaning towards 0.875" but not sure if this will be too much or too less, anybody had any experience with using spacers to stop the car bottoming out? The other spring spacers available from moss are 0.375" and 1.25"

Looking at the fitted lengths of the standard suspension from the shock absorber / lower trunnion join to the spring plate is about 11" while this new suspension is 9.5" if that helps.

Charlie

yup thats taken into account with the 11" and 9.5", the standard shock was about 3" lower wishbone bolt to bottom spring plate whereas the new one is about 2.25", and the fitted length of the standard spring is 8" and the new one is 7.25"

Made some more progress over the weekend, waiting for brakes to be sent through and then we should be good for the MOT... a certain little chap got his hands on the Bus for the first time yesterday... looks as though he took to it like a duck to water.

I'm still undecided about what size spring spacer to get, will probably make up my mind when i get down to moss tomorrow, but in the meantime fitted the new rear spring and gaz shocks to the rear, no longer is there a pronounced list to the passenger side when looking at the rear of the car.

What did shock me on the other hand was when i took off the old shocks and cleaned off some of the grime, was to find out that there was a pair of koni's on my car, which i didn't even know about.

So if anybody wants a pair of used koni's that'll fit a spitfire let me know, otherwise i'll probably ebay them.

My list of things to do before the 10CR has now decreased to a more managable level, just got to get the car through an MOT before friday, and i'll be all happy.

Charlie

Progress?...hmmm well
Red Shed (MK1 2000)-started in earnest on it after work tonight,bulk head welded back in heater box back in ,front brake pipes made off,pedal box fitted (mk2) mk2 throttle pedal fitted ,mk2 brake master fitted,mk2 cluth master fitted  (it used to be an Auto)-work halted when it was noted the car had no calipers! I hope to have t running by the end of the week,havent even heard it run!
Taxi-new clutch hydraulics to be fitted,refurbed carbs and linkage once I do the re-furbing to be fitted,full service, finishing the wiring etc
On both cars wiring mods to replace the foot dip switches and power spot lights via relays ...oh year will have to make four off spot light brackets first ...when I ve finished that lot by Thursday this week think I might fit some large mud flaps and blue lights that glow inder the car ...... ;D

Progress?...hmmm well
Red Shed (MK1 2000)-started in earnest on it after work tonight,bulk head welded back in heater box back in ,front brake pipes made off,pedal box fitted (mk2) mk2 throttle pedal fitted ,mk2 brake master fitted,mk2 cluth master fitted  (it used to be an Auto)-work halted when it was noted the car had no calipers! I hope to have t running by the end of the week,havent even heard it run!
Taxi-new clutch hydraulics to be fitted,refurbed carbs and linkage once I do the re-furbing to be fitted,full service, finishing the wiring etc
On both cars wiring mods to replace the foot dip switches and power spot lights via relays ...oh year will have to make four off spot light brackets first ...when I ve finished that lot by Thursday this week think I might fit some large mud flaps and blue lights that glow inder the car ...... ;D

Making some progress with the car, dash is more or less done, just got to fit soem cigar lighter sockets and the pass. parcel shelf, oh yeah and fit a headrest.

Mechanicaly, not gonna change the rear springs, should really super bush the trailing arms but the cars ok, brakes are now better with the re-built servo- however still a tadge concerned about how they will hold up in the Alps.

Gonna lob on some spots I have and that will be it, hopefully!

Making some progress with the car, dash is more or less done, just got to fit soem cigar lighter sockets and the pass. parcel shelf, oh yeah and fit a headrest.

Mechanicaly, not gonna change the rear springs, should really super bush the trailing arms but the cars ok, brakes are now better with the re-built servo- however still a tadge concerned about how they will hold up in the Alps.

Gonna lob on some spots I have and that will be it, hopefully!

Archived