Progress on entrants cars

Raider

I am collecting the last bits and pieces for the brake upgrade which I hope to fit next weekend ;)

Then I just hope BRP pases it's MOT in June, gets through the Autotest tomorrow, the lCC and the Devil's Own rally without any major attention being needed.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

currently:

Teresa the TR4 is having a little trouble with a slightly sticky throttle linkage which needs some jiggering and I want to strip out the rad again so I can put an extra fan on the front and hopefully get it cooling how I want it cooling. Then I've just got to make some tweaks to the wiring(i.e get it so the dash lights actually work!)

Vicky the Vitesse on hte other hand is quite close to being ready just needs some spacers sorting out between the rear body and the chassis and she'll be ready to go.

Car 2 is undergoing an engine transplant and its taking me longer than I'd like....I keep getting the urge to paint things. A 2.5 that's been lurking in the garage is being rebuilt (slowly) thanks for the advice guys, its been invaluable. Poly bushes are in the process of being fitted to the front suspension...I thought it was getting a bit rattley at the front but couldn't believe how knackered, not to mention how easy to extract, the old ones were. They were only replaced 5 yrs ago...The bonnet is flapping a bit too so will need welding and then I'll get my spray cans out again....about 8 should cover the bonnet....I'll be running 150CD's until I can afford a nice set of HS6's. Other than that I'll vacuum the inside and that should do!

Fear not Tim for Tomboy will be there. I'm 'flowing' the head at the moment, the casting and machining marks are chronic! Then its off to Gosnays on Saturday for new exhaust seats etc.

Currently reading Kaz Kastener's GT6 tuning book and following his advice but I don't think I'll trim the inlet valves. I'll post a photo when its all shiny.

Loads of other stuff to do but this is the real exciting bit.

Quote:
As for Roger in the Netherlands, he's ;leaving the GT6 at home and bringing a TR7- gawd help us, playing right into the Randle hands!

I'm really sorry for this Tim... Would love to do the 10CR by GT6. Though I had to make this compromise with my mate Theo (who owns the wedge). GT6 for UK Holiday, TR7 for 10CR.

You really have to feel sorry for me guys, It's not easy for me driving a 7.  Hope no one will recognise me.  Anyone got a stick-on mustache and some oversized shades for me??????    8) Please help me surviving these painfull days of fancy motoring!

I might have to rethink the accomodation ,share with a TR7 crew?  As you can see from the autotest photos mine's up and running ,albeit on a dodgy geabox ,but that's only temperary while i have mine rebuilt .There's quite a few little bits to do but most envolve the interior and i'm not gonna touch this till i've done the gearbox 

• 1 month later...

More news on the 2500Pi:

Just fitted a re-cored rad- done by Feltham Radiators- superb job- managed to fit in 33% more rows, therby increasing the surface area by that amount- just given here some stick up the A30 to Basingstoke and then back down the M25 in torrential rain- gauge pointer did not move off 70 degrees C- lovely.
BTW Feltham rads are a very good company who did the rad in two days- reasonable price and top job (they also rebuilt my GT6 rad- again top quality), based in the same trading estate as Moss at Hanworth, Middlesex.

Also fitted Mocol oil cooler- hopefully control the oil temp.

Still gotta fit auxillary driving lights, new brake master cylinder, heavy duty rear springs,interior map light, two cigarette lighter sockets and work out how I will get all of Bob Kings camping equipment in- thats a real concern.

Any news on any other cars?

I've been pottering around doing bits of prep for the 10 CR ;-

5 new Tyres, 3 replacement wheels cleaned up and painted ( now I've got wheels of the same size)
Added ;-temp guage,voltage guage,and oil pressure guage.
Repaired speedo,and dug out speedos from bottom of sock drawer.
Replaced clutch slave cylinder ( now saving on fluid)

Question1 !  I would like to add an electric fan to feel more at ease on the run.This is for the engine , not the cockpit (it's not a GT6) Any advice Please.

Question 2!  I need at least 1 seat belt in the back. Any advice please.

AS the event draws closer I'm getting excited and anxious. I keep convincing myself that there is a heap of things still to do.  (I'm sure others feel the same)

Things to do ;- fit replacement windscreen, get map light,

I hope Consuela doesn't peak before the event!

Dave,

Ideally you want the fan to sit behind the radiator and suck air through the rad core - take off the mechanical fan of course - much quieter! You can either go down the scrappy and find one the right size (£cheap) or buy one for about £60-80. You'll want something to make the fan work automatically when the engine is up to temperature - talk to Andy Pearce (AJP) about that - he can get them cheap.

As for rear seatbelts in a Herald - I don't think there is anywhere to mount a 3 point - so you are stuck with lap belts. Someone else can advise on this...

James

Dave,

For the 10CR I would supplement the engine driven fan by sticking one in front of the rad. Going up the high altitude Alps can obviously raise engine temp.

I think I have a spare old Kenlowe that you can borrow if you like- If I still have it you are welcome to borrow the thing. However it would be prudent to back flush the cooling system until you get clear water running through and then use a good quality coolant. When wiring the Kenlowe in I would just wire it so that it is controlled by a switch- you can then operate it when you need it- possibly a good idea to wire so that it is live at all times-do fuse or better still protect the circuit using a relay.

Tim

Thanks for the offer Tim; yes please. Are you at gatwick next Monday. The idea of a manually operated system has always been the route I wanted to take. How much surface area of the rad is covered by the fan though?This must affect its base line efficiency. On reflection, does not James's idea of  a sucker have more merit?

Thanks for reminding me to flush out the cooling system.

Dave J.

Yes James' sucker thoughts are best- hence I still run the GT6 with the mechanical fan- still attempting to source a thin 12inch fan for the GT6, however for the time of year and the weather we could encounter- an auxillary fan in front is probably prudent.

I'll bring the fan on Monday to Gatwick.

Tim

The sucking is the best solution - as is ditching your engine fan. However sticking a fan in front works just as well really.

The only reason I can think of not doing this is reliability - but then every modern car has an electric fan. You could always keep the old plastic fan (or source a plastic one if yours is metal) and keep it in the boot with some bolts - just in case.

As for space - I would think there would be more space in a Herald? If you can move the rad forward a couple of inches then finding a fan to go on the back will be easy.

Just put my electronic ignition back on the car - I'll test it tonight by going to the West lancs meeting.

Wish me luck ;)

Things I'd like to do

1) Check over the wipers, hopefully won't be needed but they have given a worrying "clonk" now and again.

2) Fix the window regulator on the driver's side - it keeps letting the window down ::)

3) Swap in a second hand dash - to replace mine with a "skipping" rev counter. At the same time it will have an oil gauge in which (to replace the non functioning and unimportant clock)  I will need to sort out the pipework for.

4) Fit some bonnet latches and rubber hooks to a spare boot to improve the "worksalike look" ;)

5) Fit a FIA spec electrical cut out switch - needed for rallying anyway plus gives extra safety

Hvaing said that I might do none of this and just get in the car and drive it

Martin,

For a good source of pipes for an oil pressure gauge, speak to Demon Tweeks, they sell products manufactured by LMA- very good and reasonably priced. If fitting a smiths oil pressure gauge- check out old Minis as they used to have Oil Press. gauges fitted as std.

The TR will look good with Rubber hooks etc- again try Demon Tweeks.

Saw 'The Johnsons', AJP, and Andy Mac.(Entry due this week)last night, news on cars as follows:

The Johnsons: The Herald is sounding so sweet, evrything seesm ok, she makes abot 75BHP at the flywheel. Few bits to sort so fingers crossed.

AJP: Being greedy and entering two cars seems mad. The 'Cairo Taxi' is well on the way. The 'Red car' still needs alot of work- however sure that AJP and Dale Barker will have her ready.

Andy Mac: Still loads to do with the transformation of 'The Worksalike' into a EFi fire breathing V8 monster- Andy will be ready.

My car: Well the servo is malfunctioning, back of on the gas and the brakes come on! Looks like a mk2 master cylinder and servo unit are needed. Other jobs consist of sorting out sticking throttle linkeage (The Cairo Taxi also suffers this problem- tubular manifold giving off too much heat- Ali. heat shield needed), harder rear springs to be fitted if I find a third driver, spotlights need to be fitted, maybe fit a moto lita steering wheel- concerned though as only  14 inch ones are readily avaialable- would like a 15 inch jobbie. Final job will be to treat her to an oil change.

Took the car - James C came along- up to RAF Waddington, nr Lincoln and then onto Louth to meet Greeks and Ella, AJP, Andy Mac, Andy and Sarah Johnson, Steve Waddingham.- She went well- possibly needs a tune up- got back at 3.00 this morning feeling relatively fresh- these Big Saloons are so good at gobbling up the miles.
God the car sounded so fine in the narrow streets of Louth- also used my new Fiamms in anger- marvellous- so Continental!!!! Reckon all 10CR crews should get a set- about £17.50.

Archived