Progress on entrants cars

Raider

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it was nice of your neighbor to agree to reverse into your car to get some body work done on the insurance
you did tell her "your only supposed to stove the bloody door off"
Seriously really sorry to hear of this mishap

Made some more progress with the car:
Fitted rear seats I got last year on e-bay.
Took out seatbelts that I sold to TR7nutter in March!
Fitted map light
Have worked out how to mount the aux. lights I have got.
Oh yeah washed and sort of polished the car.

All thats left:
Balance wheels
Carb linkeage heat shield
Fit cigar lighters sockets: To be used for phone charger, road angel and cooler
Change main beam switch from foot operated to toggle
Fit aux. lights
Tune the old thing.

Well, I put a fully cjarged battery on and fired the car up :)

The switch I put in fort he Cibies worked.

I then thought about swapping in a spare dash with oil pressure gauge but the printed circuit looks damaged so I decided that wasn't a good idea :'(

So, I need a new window regulator and that's it, the car's ready unless I ge t the Fiamms before the 10CR in which case I'll try and fit them.

James: Very sad to hear about the crunch. Hope you can get her fixed up. I'd hate to think that one of the most beautiful Triumphs ever built (MK3 Spit) had died!

Martin: Did you use a relay, or is it a very meaty toggle switch?

I can vouch that "BuRP" is looking the part now. Just mind your left elbow on that cool-box, Martin!

James: Very sad to hear about the crunch. Hope you can get her fixed up. I'd hate to think that one of the most beautiful Triumphs ever built (MK3 Spit) had died!

Martin: Did you use a relay, or is it a very meaty toggle switch?

I can vouch that "BuRP" is looking the part now. Just mind your left elbow on that cool-box, Martin!

Exhaust on, rear suspension all on and torqued up, tappets set, voltage stabilizer wired in, fresh oil for gearbox...what else...oh yes, new brakes bled. So it fired up and runs rough! I think I had the choke mechanism fitted upside down (its in three parts and the centre bit can fit in two ways) . That's been changed now but not yet tested. I did take it up the road but there was a clunking from the rear. I know one damper was touching the Minator wheel slightly while on the jack so perhaps its that, looks like wheel spacers.

Even though it was running a bit rough and the tappets need adjusting again it did sound, well, whooshy; what with its new valve seats and semi flowed head.

I was feeling a bit despondent last night about my progress but then remembered young Carruthers' Spit, so its all back into perspective now!

I'm nearly there but the days are flying by...and do I buy that CD player?? Bloody right.

Well after a bit of welding, my car is now mot'd for another year. Things to do now include fitting cigarette lighters, general service of the car, and then i might see if i can fit my brothers old mini spotlights to my car.

Oh yeah and i've gotta buy the spares, and get my tools ready to go.

I hope thats all, but i'm sure things will crop up.

Charlie

Had a bit of a problem with the car, I have just fitted an oil cooler c/w a oil stat and a temperature gauge adaptor- anyrate one of the hoses split (Proper oil hose)- oil everywhere- trails down the road- best not to ride a motorbike through Staines for a bit- not quite supertanker proportiions though!
Spoke to Think Automotive today to order an adaptor with screw on unions and two lengths of braided hose- 3-4 weeks! For the 10CR will go without oil temp gauge and I have fitted two lengths of braided hose to connect the spin on adaptor to the oil 'stat thius evening. This explains why I pitched up at The Plough last night in a dirty GT6- still came second in the 'Car I'd like to take home' contest- behind Fred's GT6!
Tomorrow evening I will fit the cigar lighter sockets (Gotta power my road angel and cooler box a la raider)and then Fri. morn going to St. Ives in Cornwall for the weekend- good trial run to see how she goes!
Had a good look at Doug Thompson's lovely mk1 2000 last night, she is suitting on some 15'' Compomotive MLs (Minilite reps) that have been painted dark grey- looks great- might take that route- still in a way I do like the TR6 steels she sits on at pres.

hmmm, well, now I've refitted my refurbished gearbox and overdrive I have to do a little rewiring so the rear lights and dash lights actually work. Then I also have to rewire my cigarette lighter sockets. Hmmm, lots of them about this year......

Must be a Tradition, an old charter or something..........

;D

Must get my block bored soon (must find the block first!) otherwise we shall be cutting it fine to get the car back together and MOT'd (it's been off the road for a couple of years). Might do a cautionary strip and re-build on the gearbox and overdrive to as they haven't been apart in my custody. Thinking about it, I'm sure I fitted a 4.55 CW&P to the Quaife last time I had the diff apart, not really ideal for the 10CR! We will also be re-wiring the dash as one by one all the little one touch switch's fitted by John Wooley have failed, up to the point where the last time I drove it I had to keep the ignition switch permanetly pressed in to keep the thing going.
This is still the best prepared I have ever been for one of these things!

Cheers
Dave

Archived