The only regret of the 10CR for us was that we didn't do the Ring - we tried but we were just couldn't make up the time. I would like to do the Ring on it's own, really savour it :-) Not that I'm a closet racer but I would like to have a go!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jon,
They don't know about the GT40 run to Hamburg and back!
(Assumes German accent, "How fast can you drive viz a trailer in your country?"  "Er, 150 kph?"  "I don't zink zo!")

Gosh, as they say on the street, max respect to the 10CR organising committee.  Nothing I say, and I'm sure Jonathan will agree, is criticism of their achievement.   We may want to go again, once we have dried out.

As for alps, alps and more alps, please note this site, the Route des Grandes Alpes http://www.routedesgrandesalpes.com/pages/home/index.php .
  The 2005 10CR followed part of it, and Jon and I followed the first part from Lake Lemans, in preference to the 10CR route around the North shore of the lake.    Done in dry sunlight it was nearly the best part of the trip for us!

John

PS did anyone else catch the Monte on TV last Sunday. Ch3?  Col de Torino, that we and I think many others had to miss?   In winter snow and ice, even the Monte heroes weren't enjoying it!  J.

[quote by=Chriss link=Blah.pl?b=10CR,m=1131902691,s=103 date=1138487985]Chris' notion of a series of routes all over Europe , and James (if it was his) idea of a British 'coming from all points to a central gathering' sounds quite good;bit like the Monte Carlo Rally. Leave the Plough and meet you in...say, Berlin, Prague, Vienna...Moscow etc etc. Some might head for Newcastle and a ferry to Norway, others to the south coast ports to Spain, Brittany, Calais; maybe even Harwich. It could be called the "Every Single European Country Run". A nice gentle cruise back (the social bit) would be good![/quote]

Don, I am not sure that that was quite the point that I was making, but you have opened up a whole new field here.  My point was don't let's stick to the Alps, lets rule out nothing, lets go to the extreams in sensible shoes, but also lets remember we are doing it in semi-precious cars   ;D .  Accomodating the various starting points is a very sensible modification.

I am not suggesting we do this yet but every 5 years Morgan Owners Club to the equivalent of the Round USA Reliability Run, but not in 48 hours.

An earlier point was made by one of the PI drivers.  I was not intending to criticise.  But if a particular characteristic of a car / engine is known then the entrants with that type of car need to know that it will be challenged by the event in advance so that they can prepare for it.  So we need the route for this event in advance to look at road type, altitude, temperature, fuel stops, etc.  Watching a video of the Pirelli Classic Ralley, soon made me get some spare brake pads in the spares kit.

Martin did warn about brakes and cooling, but poor guy he drives a TR7, like me. We can't know everything  :B , if anything, but we just know about brakes and cooling.

[/quote]

[quote by=Chriss link=Blah.pl?b=10CR,m=1131902691,s=103 date=1138488055] ... get some spare brake pads in the spares kit.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Come on Chis, with your (front) brakes you won't get into trouble on the temperature or wear front. So if the pads are OK before you leave they will easily last 2 or 3000 miles of hard driving on public roads  :)

So leave the spare pads home (saving weight  ;D). But then offcourse there was the Ring, can easily help the wear of your pads in a big way. So you are right don't mix long distance events with trackday

To be fair - nobody had to go around the Nurburgring... and if you did decide to go around nobody said you had to do it full speed.

I think it's nice to keep it on there - but you won't be required to go around it to "complete" the 10CR.

I agree with James on the nurburging, one of the highlights of the trip, just wished it was dry when i went round rather than wet. But it did make the drive through the night up to it seem worth it.

Video of my rather pedestrian lap, bearing in mind it was my first time round the nurburgring, and it was slippery as hell, just getting the excuses in before people comment on the slowness.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1297840773769555651

Charlie

I think the Ring was a great idea and I really missed doing it - to me the 10CR is about bagging 10 countries and having a good adventure. If you don't bag 10 countries but enjoy the trip then it's a success - there's no first prize, just taking your car into Johnny Foreigner's back yard, driving around and showing him how it ought to be done and maybe spanking the car to within an inch of it's life is all good too :-)
So, Charlie, you went round, be in 10 minutes or 60, who cares as long as you enjoyed it!

Archived