Where's The Next One Going, Ellis?

Quote:
The Alps are so 2003/05/07/09... How about Scandinavia...

That'll be high fuel prices, high beer prices, high ferry fares ....  Need I go on.

But then the Alps.....  Davos to Stelvio road via Livigno and Bormio a la Top Gear, Tre Croce Domini, Gavia, Vivone, Timmelshoch, Grossglockner etc. in the east, the Furka, San Bernadino, Splugenpass, Julierpass, Grimselpass etc.  in the middle and in the west, Col d'Iseran, Col de la Madeleine, Col du Galiber, Col de la Bonnette, Col du Turini and on and on and on.

No, I think you're right, the Alps have nothing new to offer. ;)

I like paying a lot for beer. :)

Jim.

I have a Real Man's Moustache.  Since my rule of no BEER cept for nights at hotel, price not so important as Plenty Of Good BEER!  No I'm not rich but it's only money!  I'm not cheap as I sometimes buy a round.  I trust Ellis will get us a Fantistic Route!  

Ye Ole DollyRoo team of Ash, Pete and Me are planning, willing and chomp'en at the bit counting the days.  As for the Blonde's,  If you had the room mate I had last time you would understand none would come close to us.  But with Ferney and Team Shorts the rest of us stand no chance! Of course a big WAD of 50E notes speaks quite loud!

I might well be entering again next year - but there's much uncertainty about whether I can drive, what car I could use, whether I want to do what competitive stuff is available or not :-/

But the Alps will always have a strong pull for me, if the Stelvio's in then I don't think I could resist ;D

Still, this year I am having a visit to the Alps with some friends and relatives and staying at the Northern end of Lake Garda - close enough to visit the Stelvio of course 8) I am being driven by my daughter and her partner in my mk2 2000 but will see Theo and Roger at the Nurburgring on the way. Just like old times, sort of, but a good way to celebrate my 50th anyway :)

MWG445 wrote:

That'll be high fuel prices, high beer prices, high ferry fares ....  Need I go on.

Last time I checked there was no need to get a ferry as entire scandinavia is bridged together. bridge from DK to Sweden is 25 quid (ish).

A bottle of beer from the supermarket - hmm, 6pack is something like a pound. Though denmark has recently been declared the most dear place for a caffe latte.

Apart from that - if the point is to be tight and cling on to the money, why not just sell the car and stay home?  

Cheers
Nick

So, a ferry across the Channel then.

And after that, stunning driving across the motorways of Belgium, Holland, Germany, Denmark and Sweden before you even reach any roads worth bothering about.

France, then on to the Alps just seems to have much more appeal and much, much more to offer.

An event along the lines of the old Alpine Rally would be outstanding, plus it would have the link back to the TR4's that competed on that event.

Jim.

MWG445 wrote:
So, a ferry across the Channel then.

And after that, stunning driving across the motorways of Belgium, Holland, Germany, Denmark and Sweden before you even reach any roads worth bothering about.

Isn't that the same at saying RBRR is as boring as M25? You just leave plough and drive across the motorways of UK??

It entirely depends on how clever the routeplanner is. FYI  - there are a few other roads in the both belgium, Holland, Germany, Denmark and Sweden than the motorways. And a fair few of them are qiute good roads for driving.

For inspiration take a look at the RDRR roadbook

http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B8F1W2BtPl81NGE5MWNjZTYtMWU3NS00OWE1LTk2MWUtZWNmOTMyMTQ1MGE4&hl=da

And if you dared trying something new you could experience some of europes longest bridges

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Belt_Fixed_Link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%98resund_Bridge

Cheers
Nick

I don't doubt that there decent roads in Belgium, Holland, Germany, Denmark and Sweden.

However, the problem is time.

If the purpose of the event is to get to Scandanavia (and back remember), more interesting roads on a long distance event take more time to reach, more time to traverse and reduce the time permitted at your chosen destination, in this case Scandanavia.

Bit of a bum deal to drive for two days, reach your destination and immediately turn around and drive straight back using much the same roads that took you there in the first place.

At least further south in Europe, such as the Alps, an organiser has the option of a huge loop.

He is also constrained by the amount of time available for the event and the maximum distance that can be comfortably covered.  In the case of the 10CR, about 2,500 miles.

For these reasons, I would have my doubts that a decent route that satisfies the 10CR criteria could make it to Scandanavia and back without crossing the North Sea on an "expensive" ferry.

Still, I could be convinced. :)

Jim.

Nick_B. wrote:

Apart from that - if the point is to be tight and cling on to the money, why not just sell the car and stay home?  

Cheers
Nick

As the originator of the 10CR I feel I can say that actually the point was to have a great time, see some superb scenery and prove it didn't have to be mega expensive. So, a cheap ferry ticket, camping or low costs hotels and a Triumph to drvie for the long weekend are what it's about - the 10CR means you can enjoy the car won a budget 8)

That doesn't mean the 10CR can't can't move  and evolve of course so if it's longer, more costly or whatever that's wanted then that's fine too ;)

• 5 weeks later...

Archived