10 Countries Run Message Board

rotoflex

In case anyone may not know that photos & reports from the drivers are here:
http://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/content/content.cgi?pid=101

Sounds like some sort of hell has broken loose under the hood of the Gunby's GT6:
"Just checked the oil and found the engine has snapped off both mountings and is wedged on the crossmember As well as a buckled bulkhe"

Modern engine mounts of inferior performance to the originals?

Really does look like all are having a good time this w'end. Finding this all very sad sitting here, should be attacking the Alps at pres!

Chris and Nigel are in Nigel's Stag.

Not sure what happened to the GT6-same car change happened on the RBRR.

Sad to see that Mike Banks' Spitfire mk3 which has a 1500 engine has run its mains. On the way back to blighty.

Right-o John, gotcha. Yes it's a couple of aircrew/paramedics coming in.
http://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/content/content.cgi?pid=101&messpage=5&messfilter=50&filter=Filter+Messages
Let's hope the biker's OK, although the way they ride over there sometimes.... (I was one of them once....)....

timbancroft61 wrote:

Chris and Nigel are in Nigel's Stag.

They weren't sure the Stag would be done in time. Just spent the 12 months since they blew the engine up on the Stag trying to get it ready and it was finished last week. Now the engine ok but unfortunately bodywork now looks like this

thescrapman wrote:

Mr Bank's 1500 engine  is in that garage at home sadly, it was the original 1300 that threw its toys out of the pram...

The Polo was nice.. :-)

Yes it was the small crank 1296 FD engine that broke. Oil pressure was still okay-ish and my gut feel is it's a big end that got worse over a few hours (and mountain passes) and then suddenly went, very loudly, on the Albulapass. Clutch went funny at the same time so the thrust washer might have dropped too? Or as Nick J pointed out on the ferry home, possibly the crank has broken?  :( . I won't know until the car is back home and I drop the sump and have a look.

sparky_spit wrote:

Yes it was the small crank 1296 FD engine that broke. Oil pressure was still okay-ish and my gut feel is it's a big end that got worse over a few hours (and mountain passes) and then suddenly went, very loudly, on the Albulapass. Clutch went funny at the same time so the thrust washer might have dropped too? Or as Nick J pointed out on the ferry home, possibly the crank has broken?  :( . I won't know until the car is back home and I drop the sump and have a look.

...or compression test as if it has broke then you can gaurentee it will be in half and only two pots will give compression,or turn crank nut with spanner to  test with a rod down`t plug oyls

Archived