1500 diff ina gt6 mk3 ??

matt123

Hi

The diff on my car is on the way out and i've heard its very tricky to do a home rebuild? I cant really stretch to a reconditioned one at the mo with them being £300

i've found a diff from a 1500 spit ratio 3.63. checking my haynes my od gt6 apparently has a 3.89. will box physically fit?  

Straight swap if the GT6 has swing spring.  You will be two spring stud holes short if the GT6 has rotoflex rear end.  You can swap the rear casing from the 3.89 to 3.63 to overcome this or just live with the 4 studs.

3.63 suits the GT6 (and Vitesse) really well and if anything is stronger than 3.89.  Will affect your speedo and milometer readings, but not by a geat deal.

Nick

Do the holes go all the way through?

If you drill & tap the holes, will metal filings fall into the casing?

It seems like the swing spring conversion memo mentioned that the 2 extra holes in the case would need to be blocked off, & that suggests to me that they communicated to the interior & lube could escape.

Yes, the holes do go all the way through.  Ran a Herald for quite a while on 4 studs only including quite heavy loads nd plenty of abuse so a don't see a problem with this.  All the Swing spring cars ran 4 studs only.  More of the problem the other way around 'cause if you forget to plug the holes the oil escapes.....

Nick

Matt,
The Haynes may say its a 3:89, But Id check it definatly has first!!  Gt6 30 odd years old now! who knows whats been put in/changed eh!

When I got my mk1 it had a 3:89 with non o/drive box!!

Just a thought, but I'd find out for sure what its got at the moment ,then go from there!

Roy 8)

i've just realised i didnt separate the in and a in the title, oh dear , i might add i dont go in for yoof speak that was a typo,

if the concensus is that the four studs will be up to the job than i'll go for it , anything is better than the current diff

next question than, i'm going to finally fit the new clutch i have, while i have the diff out is there anything eles i should check or change?

Archived